MI5 chief says China presents daily threat to UK security as he admits frustration over spy case collapse

The head of MI5 said “Chinese state actors” pose a national security threat to the UK “every day” and admitted he was disappointed at the collapse of the case against two alleged Westminster spies.
Sir Ken McCallum explained how the Security Service carried out an operation against a threat from China last week, amid growing questions about the failure of the investigation.
Speaking at MI5’s London headquarters, the service’s director-general said the UK must “defend itself resolutely” against China while also being able to “seize the opportunities” brought by the relationship with Beijing.
“The UK-China relationship is inherently complex, but MI5’s role is not: We robustly detect and combat activities that threaten national security,” Sir Ken said.
He highlighted China’s attempts to engage in “cyber espionage”, “covert technology transfer”, efforts to “covertly interfere in the UK’s public life” and attempts to “harass and intimidate rivals”, including pro-democracy activists.
“When it comes to China, the UK needs to resolutely defend itself against threats and seize opportunities that clearly serve our nation,” he said.
He said it was up to ministers to decide where the balance lies “in line with expert security advice”.
Asked if he was disappointed by the collapse of the case against Christopher Cash and Christopher Berry, he said: “Of course I am disappointed when, for whatever reason, opportunities to prosecute activities that threaten national security are not pursued.”
Sir Ken’s comments came after it was revealed that the government’s deputy national security adviser had repeatedly described the “threat” posed by China in witness statements published on Wednesday night amid extraordinary controversy over the collapse of the case.
One of the main allegations against the government was that it refused to describe Beijing as a threat to Britain’s national security in its evidence to the CPS.
But revelations released on Wednesday showed Matt Collins saying Chinese intelligence services were “highly capable and conducting large-scale espionage operations” against the UK, which “threatens the UK’s economic prosperity, resilience and the integrity of our democratic institutions”.
But he added that the government was “committed to maintaining a positive relationship” with Beijing.
He also told prosecutors that it was his assessment that Christopher Cash and Christopher Berry, who are accused of spying for China, acted in a way that posed a danger to Britain’s “security” and “interests” and gave material that could be “useful” to the Chinese state. They deny any wrongdoing.
On Thursday, the Joint Committee on National Security Strategy announced it would hold a formal inquiry into the collapse of the case, with committee chairman Matt Western telling the House of Commons there were “clearly still a lot of questions to be answered” about the saga.
“As the Committee examining national security decision-making processes, [Joint Committee] “This is the best forum for these questions,” he said.
He added: “We will launch a formal investigation as soon as possible and expect to hear evidence from the government and officials involved in these matters.”
Meanwhile, Sir Keir Starmer has responded to a letter from Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch, who said he “will not tolerate anyone being unfairly blamed” for the collapse of the Chinese spying case.
The deputy national security adviser said he was “doing everything possible” within the “constraints imposed by the previous administration’s stance toward China.”
In a letter sent to him by the opposition letter outlining questions about the case, the Prime Minister said: “I can confirm that no minister or special adviser to this government has put pressure on any witnesses that the CPS plans to call to the hearing or in any other way sought to influence the outcome of the hearing.
“Let me also say that I will not tolerate anyone being unfairly blamed for this outcome.
“I am confident that deputy national security adviser Matt Collins, a public servant of the highest caliber and integrity who has made a significant impact on our national security, has done everything possible within the constraints imposed by the previous administration’s conduct toward China.
“Furthermore, the witness statements we have now published show that the evidence he gave was consistent with the publicly stated policy of the government at the time.”
The release of the documents on Wednesday has put pressure on the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to explain why it unexpectedly dropped charges against the two men.
The evidence reveals how Mr Berry was recruited by the Chinese state and used Mr Cash to gather intelligence on the UK.
At one point, Mr. Cash told Mr. Berry “you’re in espionage territory right now.”
But Mr Cash, the former parliamentary investigator, said the collapse of the case had left him in an “impossible position”.
“I would like to reiterate that I am completely innocent. Not only because the case against me was dropped, but also because I never knowingly aided Chinese intelligence,” he said as the evidence was released.
“I have not had the light of day to have a public hearing that would demonstrate my innocence, and I should not have to participate in a media-driven trial,” he added.




