Netanyahu meets with US envoys over ceasefire plans

US envoys met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to get the ceasefire plan in the Gaza Strip back on track to encircle Israel and Hamas following a weekend outbreak of violence that threatened to disrupt the ceasefire.
Israel and Hamas have recommitted to a ceasefire plan imposed by US President Donald Trump since Sunday’s flare-up between a Palestinian attack that killed two soldiers and an Israeli bombardment that killed at least 28 people in the Gaza Strip.
But it remains to be seen whether the United States can keep up the pressure on the two sides and maintain momentum to end the conflict, even as the early stages of the ceasefire are rocked by repeated violence, including on Monday.
US envoys Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner were expected to strengthen the ceasefire during their visit and then begin talks on the next, more difficult phase of the 20-step plan.
US Vice President JD Vance was also due to visit Israel on Tuesday, and Netanyahu said the two would discuss regional challenges and opportunities.
Addressing the Israeli parliament, Netanyahu said that he expected to make peace agreements in the region with Trump.
Top US diplomacy in the region, along with talks with Hamas in Egypt later Monday, underscore the importance of strengthening the ceasefire for Trump, who last week declared the “historic dawn of a new Middle East”.
On Monday, Palestinian medics said three more people were killed by gunfire from Israeli tanks near the “yellow line” separating Israel’s military withdrawal from the Gaza Strip from the main populated areas.
The Israeli army said its forces opened fire on militants who crossed this line.
Residents of Gaza City said they were confused about the line, saying electronic maps were available but physical signs had not yet been created along most of the route.
“The entire area is in ruins. We have seen the maps, but we do not know where these lines are,” said Samir, 50, who lives in Tuffah.
Israel’s defense minister released a video on Monday showing bulldozers pulling yellow blocks into place to mark the line.
Witkoff and Kushner’s visit to Israel, aimed at discussions on the next phase of Trump’s complex ceasefire plan, was planned before violence flared on Sunday, according to US and Israeli sources.
⭕️ On two separate occasions, IDF troops detected several approaching terrorists who crossed the yellow line in the Shejaiya area, posing a direct threat to them. Soldiers opened fire on terrorists who crossed the yellow line to eliminate the threat against them.…— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) October 20, 2025
Trump said the ceasefire he brokered was still in effect.
He said the Hamas leadership may not have been involved in the violations.
“We think maybe the leadership wasn’t involved in this,” he told reporters aboard Air Force One.
Israel is unlikely to announce any progress in talks until the remains of more hostages are returned and believes Hamas could hand over six more of the 16 bodies still in the Gaza Strip.
Other bodies may be difficult to recover due to the destruction in the area.
Israel’s Kan public broadcaster reported on Monday that preparations were being made to transfer the body of a hostage after Hamas announced on Sunday that it had found the body of a hostage.
Egypt will host talks in Cairo on Monday with Hamas’ exiled Gaza Strip chief Khalil al-Hayya on ways to follow up on implementing the ceasefire, the group said in a statement.
A Palestinian official close to the talks said the group’s delegation would discuss ways to advance the formation of a technocratic body that would govern the region without Hamas representation.
Hamas and other allied groups reject any foreign rule of the strip as envisioned in the Trump plan and have so far resisted calls to lay down arms that could complicate implementation of the deal.
