‘Lethal weapons’: 3D-printed guns test limits for cops

“Sovereign citizens” and “apocalypse preppers” are among hundreds of people arrested with 3D-printed firearms as part of a nationwide crackdown on illegal weapons.
The Australian Border Force operation led to the seizure of more than 1,000 firearms and parts, 281 of which were made through 3D printing processes.
Across Australia, 184 people were arrested and 854 people were charged.
NSW Police Detective Superintendent John Watson, who chairs Australia’s Illegal Firearms Working Group, says the increasing quality of 3D printed guns increases their threat to police and the wider community.
But he insists the results of the week-long operation show that law enforcement innovations are keeping pace with alleged criminals.
“The rise of 3D printing is a challenge to the policing profession that is seeing new boundaries being set,” Det Supt Watson said on Wednesday.
“Although these pieces are colorful, they are not toys. When put together, they become deadly weapons, they are all illegal and extremely dangerous.”
Border Force said all 719 firearms were seized, 489 parts were seized and a further 64 imitation firearms and gel explosives were found.
Other items seized included $250,000 in cash and banned drugs.
Det Supt Watson said those caught with 3D printed weapons were “engaging the whole spectrum of society”, including some people who were simply interested in exploring the technology.
“There are others who are more determined to defeat the process, so they are linked to organized crime… they are motivated by profit,” he said.
“There are others who may be sovereign citizens or doomsday preppers, there is no doubt that this operation and what is learned from it will build and complete the entire landscape.”
A 3D printer, three manufactured Glock-style pistols, 3D printed holsters and an imitation pistol were seized during a raid in Gosford on the NSW Central Coast.

A lawsuit was filed against the 52-year-old man, who was arrested at the scene, on 14 different firearms offences.
During the search at Kotara in Newcastle, two rifles, three pistols, an automatic pistol and 1000 rounds of ammunition were found.
94 firearms, 223 firearm parts and scores of other weapons were seized in dozens of raids in Western Australia last week.
These include a homemade shotgun, firearm manufacturing parts, copies of firearms manuals, pepper spray and a taser seized from a home in Greenfields, Mandurah.
A 38-year-old man was arrested at the scene and will appear in court on November 7 on multiple weapons charges.

Victoria authorities arrested 35 people on 161 charges; among them was a 62-year-old Cobden man who was charged with possession of a trafficable quantity of a firearm. He was allegedly found with two handguns, nine partial handguns and three long-armed firearms, among other items.
Border Force Commander Graeme Campbell said the “sophisticated, intelligence-led” operation was a success and warned unsuspecting Australians against online shopping.
“Many of these products are sold by online retailers, which can lead people to mistakenly believe they are not inspected on import,” he said.
“Many of these websites place orders from abroad on behalf of the buyer, without taking into account import regulations.”

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.

