Rubio discusses international force for Gaza after preventing attack

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The United States, Israel and other mediators of the Gaza peace deal shared intelligence last weekend to prevent a possible attack and will do so going forward, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday.
“We issued a message through the State Department about an impending attack, we also sent it to our mediators and it did not happen,” he told reporters as he flew from Israel to Qatar. “So that’s the goal here, ultimately, is to detect a threat before it happens.”
This came a week after the State Department said it had “credible reports” that Hamas was planning attacks on Palestinian civilians in violation of the agreement.
Rubio said on Saturday that the United States is meeting with countries such as Qatar, Egypt and Türkiye that want to contribute to the international stabilization force in the region. He added that Indonesia and Azerbaijan are also interested.
EXCLUSIVE: RUBIO SAYS US-ISRAEL ALLIANCE REMAINS TOUGH AS HE GOES TO QATAR DUE TO DOHA ATTACKS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the media after visiting the Civilian-Military Coordination Center in Southern Israel on Friday. (Fadel Senna/Pool Photo via AP)
However, he said, “Many countries that want to be part of this cannot do so without a United Nations resolution supporting the force.”
Rubio also met with President Donald Trump in Qatar ahead of the president’s Asian tour.
Vice President J.D. Vance was in Israel earlier this week with special envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump advisor and son-in-law Jared Kushner to solidify the ceasefire agreement that took effect earlier this month.
WHITE HOUSE DIRECTED TRUMP’S MASSOVER TO WARNING QATAR AHEAD OF ‘UNFORTUNATE’ ISRAEL STRIKE

Reporters watch as President Donald Trump, seated center, meets with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al Thani, Emir of Qatar, seated left, and Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, seated right, aboard Air Force One at Al Udeid Air Base in Doha, Qatar, on Saturday. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
Next week, Rubio said Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is also expected to travel to Israel.
Trump thanked Qatar for helping secure the peace agreement during a meeting with Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thanimet and Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION

A military vehicle seen from the Israeli side of the border maneuvers in Gaza on Friday. (Reuters/Amir Cohen)
“This should be a lasting peace,” Trump told reporters about the agreement.
His visit to Qatar was part of his refueling before heading to Asia.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.



