Liberal Party net zero debate rages on; Trump threatens to sue the BBC; Delhi car blast kills eight, injures 20
Opposition to the government’s proposal to reduce default speed limits in regional areas from 100km/h to between 70km/h and 90km/h has widened to include criticism from within the Labor Party.
Last week Western Australian Labor Party Senator Glenn Sterle told ABC Pilbara: “If it were up to me, I wouldn’t do this. [have] “I even got there.”
“It’s ridiculous that we’re even entertaining or putting something like that on. We need to clear the decks,” he told the radio station, encouraging listeners to write to the department to express their distaste for the proposal.
Senator Glenn Sterling. Credit: Dion Georgopoulos
“You asked me for my opinion and it’s ridiculous. This is ridiculous,” Sterle said.
Opposing the proposal, Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie said: “Regional communities are completely opposed to the Labor Government in Canberra cutting and canceling funding for regional road projects, saying speed limits should be reduced to 70kph.”
“The Minister should listen to the chair of the Transport Committee and end the consultation immediately and make it clear to communities that the Government will not impose speed limit cuts,” McKenzie said in a statement. he said.
Consultation on the proposal ended at midnight on Monday, with the change being sold as an opportunity to reduce road deaths.
