google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Howard recalls Whitlam’s ‘terrible mistake’ 50 years on

11 November 2025 03:30 | News

Former prime minister John Howard says Gough Whitlam made a “terrible mistake” in assuming the governor-general would allow him to continue ruling the country, 50 years after the impeachment that defined Australian politics for decades.

Mr Whitlam was sacked on November 11, 1975, in a stalemate on the front steps of Old Parliament House that could have left Australia running out of money for essential services.

Liberal leader Malcolm Fraser had refused to pass Mr Whitlam’s budget, leading to a constitutional crisis that was resolved by Governor-General Sir John Kerr sacking the prime minister and appointing Mr Fraser to the post.

John Howard says public sentiment had turned against Gough Whitlam long before his sacking. (Lukas Coch/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Howard, who was a junior member of the Fraser opposition before the sacking, said Mr Whitlam had not handled the politics of the saga well.

“I think he assumed Kerr was his man and would do his bidding and that was a terrible mistake,” he told AAP.

“He should have decided whether Kerr should use the bench power and remove him.”

Shortly after the Whitlam government was dismissed, Australians went to the polls and overwhelmingly chose the coalition.

“People didn’t vote based on their feelings about the dismissal,” Mr. Howard said, arguing that public sentiment had turned against Mr. Whitlam long before his sacking.

The former Liberal prime minister, who will be interviewed in Old Parliament House on Tuesday to revive the saga, said Labor was rushing to introduce major reforms because it had been in opposition for more than two decades before returning to power.

“He was in such a hurry,” Mr. Howard said.

“But you may be rushing towards the wrong target,” he added, claiming increased spending and a larger public service were some of the Whitlam government’s flawed plans.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described Whitlam’s sacking as a “partisan political trap”. (Mick Tsikas/AAP PHOTOS)

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese made a different assessment, describing the dismissal as a brutal political game aimed at overthrowing a fairly elected government.

“Make no mistake: November 11, 1975 was not a constitutional crisis, it was a partisan political ambush,” he said in a speech at the Old Parliament House on Monday evening.

“There was no real precedent and no legitimate excuse.”

Mr Albanese announced plans to erect a statue of Mr Whitlam in the Old Houses of Parliament to honor his predecessor’s achievements as prime minister.

“Australians will be able to stand by Gough, put their arms around the great man’s shoulders and remind ourselves that if we keep our enthusiasm, the time is always coming,” he said.


AAP News

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.

Latest stories from our writers

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button