Keir Starmer pays tribute to member of UK armed forces killed in ‘tragic accident’ in Ukraine

Sir Keir Starmer held a memorial service in memory of a member of the British armed forces killed in Ukraine.
According to the Ministry of Defense, the prime minister expressed his “deepest sympathy and condolences” for the soldier who died while watching the test of the new defense capability.
The department said: “It is with great sadness that we must announce the death of a member of the UK armed forces in Ukraine this morning, Tuesday 9 December.
“He was injured in a tragic accident while observing Ukrainian forces testing a new defensive capability far from the front lines.
“The family has been notified and our thoughts are with them at this sad and difficult time.”
Britain has previously acknowledged that there are a “small number” of military personnel in Ukraine, who mostly provide security for the British diplomatic presence and support the Ukrainian armed forces. The government never said how many.
Sir Keir wrote on social media: “My deepest condolences and condolences to the family of the member of our armed forces who sadly died today.
“Their service and sacrifice will never be forgotten.”
Defense secretary John Healey said in a social media post: “I am devastated by the death of a UK soldier in Ukraine.
“My thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues who are grieving the loss of a loved one. Our hearts go out to them.”
Shadow defense secretary James Cartlidge said: “I am deeply saddened to hear the tragic news that a member of the UK armed forces has died in Ukraine this morning.
“I offer my sincerest condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time.”
British armed forces have an intensive five-week program in the UK training Ukrainian troops to be “combat ready”.
The Press Association understands that the death was not caused by enemy fire.




