google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Diddy “Still Pondering” Suing Netflix Over ‘Reckoning’ Series, Prison Release Date Moved Up

SPECIAL: Sean Combs’ battle with Netflix and 50 Cent Sean Combs: Reckoning We can add another court date All About Benjamins The artist’s calendar is already quite full.

Amid numerous sexual assault civil complaints, the incarcerated Diddy is currently struggling. Objection to the criminal case opened on December 23and given his new prison release date, the Bad Boy Records founder may soon make good on his threats and take on the Ted Sarandos-run publisher and longtime rival rapper as well.

More from Deadline

A spokesperson for the Bad Boy Records founder told Deadline that he had made it to the top of the list: “Sean Combs and his team are still evaluating their legal options regarding the Netflix docuseries and the stolen footage.” Reckoning and the series reveals scenes of scheming Diddy in the days leading up to BTS’ arrest in September 2024.

Combs, who is currently behind bars at low-security Fort Dix in New Jersey, escaped major criminal sex trafficking and RICO charges on July 2, but was found guilty by a jury on two lesser counts of transportation for prostitution. Facing literally dozens of civil lawsuits across the country and a new sexual assault investigation opened last month by the LA County Sheriff’s department, Combs was sentenced to 30 months in prison in early October.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons had originally planned for him to be released on May 8, 2028, given time served, barring any incidents or reports. Later, when Combs was transferred to the much more comfortable Garden State facility It will be released on June 4, 2028.

According to the latest information from FBoP, Diddy will be released on May 25, 2028 unless there is a winner of the quick appeal.

No reason was given for this latest change and why Combs’ co-op time was cut by just over a week. The truth is, like most things in life, it sometimes takes a while for authorities to get the math right on matters of incarceration for both high-profile convicts and run-of-the-mill bad guys.

Even before the four-part Alexandria Stapleton-directed film Reckoning When it began streaming on the global streamer on December 2, Diddy’s lawyers tried to shut it down. Calling Curtis on “50 Cent” Jackson EP Reckoning The cease-and-desist letter, dated Dec. 1, is a “shameful hit piece” declaring that footage of Combs yelling at defense attorneys in a New York hotel room was “stolen” and illegally obtained.

Accusing co-CEO Sarandos of “corporate revenge” for allegedly turning down Combs’ 2023 documentary project, the letter included the following: “As you no doubt know, Mr. Combs has not hesitated to take legal action against media organizations and others who violate his rights, and will not hesitate to do so against Netflix.”

Sean Combs reacts to Netflix docuseries ‘The Reckoning’

Earlier this month, the broadcaster offered its own version of events that the often exaggerated Combs claims actually happened. “The project has no connection to past conversations between Sean Combs and Netflix,” a spokesperson for the streamer said about Sarandos and Diddy’s professional relationship and any other documentary projects. “The footage leading up to Combs’ indictment and arrest was obtained legally. This is not a hit song or an act of revenge. Curtis Jackson is an executive producer but has no creative control. No one was paid to participate.”

Perhaps Michael Oberlies, the so-called “Sean Combs documentarian,” may be unintentionally providing Netflix with some legal content. He explained how the hotel footage turned out on December 10 Reckoning. “The images in question were not released by me or anyone authorized to handle Sean Combs’ materials; they were released by a third party who covered me for three days while I was out of state,” he said.

It is worth noting that Netflix faced a similar situation before, due to the so-called stolen video incident, and the broadcaster was the winning party in court. Attempts by members of orgasmic meditation organization OneTaste to close the document in 2022 Orgasm Inc. “misused” shots failed. The broadcaster successfully argued in Los Angeles Superior Court that they had lawful access to the video of the training session and that many things happened that way. Orgasm Inc. They had already appeared in public, their faces blurred.

No doubt considering the OneTaste case, Combs Reckoning lawyers must be weighing the possibility of a court victory against this precedent. Certainly, the stakes are much lower now that the well-monitored douseries have been online for almost a month now.

On a parallel track, Diddy’s lawyers finally managed to get an official document into the court docket just before Christmas in their much-hyped and already expedited appeal. Criticizing trial judge Arun Subramanian for acting as the so-called “thirteenth juror,” the brief asks the Second Circuit Court of Appeals to release Combs as soon as possible, one way or another.

“If this Court does not overturn Combs’ conviction, it should immediately release him and instruct the district court to indict him only for the conduct for which he was convicted,” reads the 84-page appeal signed by Alexandra Shapiro.

Although Combs admitted in the early days of his trial in May that he had a serious drug problem and had committed domestic abuse against various men and women in his circle, this is further emphasized in the appeal, describing the Grammy winner as “an extraordinarily successful self-made businessman, artist, philanthropist and one of the most successful black men in this country.”

Let’s see if the same language will be used in a lawsuit filed against Netflix and its executives.

Best of Deadline

Sign up Deadline Newsletter. Follow us for the latest news Facebook, excitementAnd instagram.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button