Russia Calls US Action Against Maduro ‘Act Of Aggression’, Says Reason ‘Untenable’ | World News

The Russian Foreign Ministry described the US attack on Venezuela and the subsequent capture of incumbent President Nicolas Maduro as an act of armed aggression and said the excuse used to justify the action was untenable.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement: “The United States carried out an act of armed aggression against Venezuela this morning. This development causes deep concern and requires condemnation. The excuses used to justify these actions are untenable. Ideological hostility prevailed over pragmatic engagement as well as any preparation to establish relations based on trust and predictability.”
“In the current situation, it is essential, first of all, to prevent further escalation of tensions and to focus on finding a solution through dialogue. We act from the understanding that all parties that may have complaints against each other should seek solutions through dialogue-based mechanisms. We are ready to support such efforts. Latin America must remain a region of peace, as it declared in 2014. Venezuela’s right to self-determination, independent of any destructive foreign intervention, let alone military, must be guaranteed.”
Add Zee News as Preferred Source
The Russian Federation also supported South American leaders’ call for an urgent UN Security Council meeting.
Russian Foreign Ministry said, “We once again confirm our solidarity with the Venezuelan people and our support for the path followed by the Bolivarian leadership, which aims to protect the country’s national interests and sovereignty. We support the statements of Venezuelan authorities and leaders of Latin American countries calling for an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council.” he said.
Meanwhile, in what could be seen as a sign that the world is becoming increasingly polarized over the US offensive, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Kaja Kallas supported the US action, saying Nicolas Maduro lacks legitimacy.
“I met with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Marco Rubio, and our Ambassador in Caracas. The EU is closely monitoring the situation in Venezuela. The EU has repeatedly stated that Mr. Maduro lacks legitimacy and advocates a peaceful transition. The principles of international law and the UN Charter must be respected in all circumstances. We call for moderation. The safety of EU citizens in the country is our top priority,” he said.
Earlier, Utah Senator Mike Lee said on Saturday that US Secretary of State Marco Rubio informed him that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro had been detained by US personnel pending trial on criminal charges in the US.
In a post on his personal account about He said it was within his inherent authority to protect U.S. personnel from an actual or imminent attack under the article.
He said: “Just got off the phone with @SecRubio. He informed me that Nicolas Maduro was detained by US personnel pending trial on criminal charges in the US, and that the kinetic action we saw tonight was taken to protect and defend those executing the arrest warrant. This action is likely within the president’s inherent authority under Article II of the Constitution to protect US personnel from actual or imminent attack. Thank you for keeping me informed, @SecRubio.”
The senator’s remarks came after US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the US had launched a major attack against Venezuela, during which incumbent President Nicolas Maduro and his wife were “captured and flown out of the country”.
“The United States has successfully carried out a large-scale attack against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who was captured and sent out of the country along with his wife. This operation was carried out in conjunction with the US Marshals Service. Details will follow. A News Conference will be held today at 11 a.m. in Mar-a-Lago. Thank you for your interest in this matter! President DONALD J. TRUMP,” said US President Donald Trump, published on Truth Social.
The “Maduro capture” comes at a time when tensions between the United States and Venezuela have risen sharply. Trump has repeatedly accused the Venezuelan President of heading a government he describes as “narco-terrorist.”




