Police launch murder probe after death of three-month-old baby

Police launched a murder investigation following the death of a three-month-old baby boy.
Atijus Elertaite was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after officers found him at a property in St John’s Chase, Cambridgeshire, just after 11am on Saturday, January 3.
The baby died five days later on January 8. Police said an autopsy revealed the initial cause of death was head trauma and further medical investigations are pending.
Before his death, a 25-year-old woman and a 22-year-old man, both from March, had been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.
The pair were later re-arrested on Thursday on suspicion of murder and remained in custody, but have since been released on bail until April 22, police said.
Detective inspector Verity McCann said: “We know the local community will be shocked and deeply saddened and our thoughts are with those affected by Atijus’ death.
“We are working hard to establish exactly what happened and urge everyone to be careful and not speculate about the case, especially on social media, as this could impact our investigation.”
Police said the baby was first taken to Peterborough City Hospital and then transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, where he died.
Officers are appealing to the public to come forward with any information about the case via the website, by calling 101 or speaking anonymously to Crimestoppers.




