Shootings at School and Home Leave 10 Dead, Including Shooter

ANCOUVER: Eight people, including the suspect, were killed in a school shooting in British Columbia, while two more people were found dead at a home believed to be connected to the incident, Canadian authorities said Tuesday.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police say more than 25 people were injured, including two with life-threatening injuries, following a shooting at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School.
School shootings are rare in Canada.
The town of Tumbler Ridge, with a population of about 2,400, is located 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) north of Vancouver, near the Alberta border. The state government’s website states that Tumbler Ridge Secondary School has 175 students in grades 7 through 12.
RCMP Superintendent Ken Floyd told reporters that investigators had identified the shooter but would not name him, but said the suspect’s motive remained unclear.
“We are in no position to understand why or what caused this tragedy,” Floyd said.
Police are still investigating how the victims were connected to the shooter, the official added.
“As part of the initial response to active assaults, police entered the school to locate the threat. During the search, officers located multiple victims. A person believed to be the attacker was also found dead from an apparent self-inflicted wound,” RCMP said in a statement.
“In addition to the suspect, six other people were found dead at the school. Two victims were taken to the hospital with serious or life-threatening injuries. A third victim died while being transported to the hospital.”
Peace River South School District said in a statement early Tuesday that “lockdown, security and protection” were in place at both the middle school and Tumbler Ridge Elementary School.
South Peace River legislature member Larry Neufeld told reporters at the legislature that a “surplus” of resources had been sent to the community, including RCMP and ambulance support.
He said he did not want to provide further information due to concerns that the ongoing operation could jeopardize his security.
“Our hearts go out to the families of those who lost loved ones in Tumbler Ridge tonight. The government will provide every support possible to members of the community in the coming days as we all try to come to terms with this unimaginable tragedy,” British Columbia Premier David Eby said in a statement.



