Families hope envoy finds Laos poisoning clarity

The Australian family of one of two teenagers who died after methanol poisoning during a backpacking holiday in Laos has welcomed moves to send a special envoy to investigate.
Veteran diplomat Pablo Kang has been asked to explore all avenues to advance the case surrounding the deaths of Holly Morton-Bowles and Bianca Jones in Laos in 2024.
The 19-year-olds, from Melbourne’s Bayside, were fatally poisoned with methanol while drinking at the Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng while backpacking in the Southeast Asian country in late 2024.
At least six foreigners died in the mass poisoning, including British woman Simone White, a US tourist and two young Danish women.
The Morton-Bowles and Jones families were outraged this week when it was revealed that 10 people linked to methanol poisoning in January faced trial and were fined just $185 for destroying evidence.
No charges have been filed in connection with the deaths.
Bianca’s father, Mark Jones, said he hoped the special envoy would eventually bring clarity to the families.
“We are all still grieving the loss of our beautiful daughters; it has been exhausting, it has been difficult,” Mr Jones told AAP on Thursday.
“From what little I knew so far about the Laos political system, we were not sure we could get justice for our daughters.

“What I am confident about is that the Australian government is now trying to do everything they can to help cases progress for both our daughters.”
Both families were briefed on the envoy’s mission before the announcement, and Mr. Kang spoke with him before leaving for Laos.
“It’s been tough. It’s been tiring, but we’re grateful that we now have someone on the ground from the government, from our government, to help move the process along in real time,” Mr. Jones said.
Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong announced Mr Kang’s appointment on Thursday after the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade apologized earlier this week for not providing more information to victims’ families.
“Since their deaths in November 2024, the Albanian government has been clear with Lao officials about the need for transparency and accountability,” Senator Wong said.

“We have consistently communicated our expectations that the charges should reflect the seriousness of the tragedy that left Holly, Bianca and four other foreign nationals dead.”
Mr. Kang is the head of the Southeast Asia regional and mainland division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and will travel to Laos as soon as possible.
He previously served as Australia’s representative in Cambodia, the United Arab Emirates and Vanuatu.
Ms Morton-Bowles’ father, Shaun Bowles, said Australians considering traveling to Laos should rethink their plans and avoid the country.
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley called on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to summon the Laotian ambassador to make an official statement about the weak investigations.
During questioning, Mr Albanese acknowledged that developments in the court had added to the families’ pain.

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.



