Huge landslide leaves residents facing 2-hour trip to A&E | UK | News

Llanthony Valley residents say they feel ‘disconnected and abandoned’ (Image: John Myers)
Residents of a small village in Wales say they feel abandoned after a landslide left only one way in and out of their property. The collapse first occurred on January 30 when a river bank collapsed under the main road between Cwmyoy and Llanthony in Monmouthshire. Since then the land has remained unstable and has continued to deteriorate, leaving the natives of the Llanthony Valley in Wales virtually out of touch.
Michelle Turner, who lives in the town, said: “As a community we are deeply frustrated. We all pay council tax but are effectively disconnected with little warning, poor communication and no clear or safe plan to protect the welfare of residents.” Monmouthshire County Council said the road was closed on the first day of the landslide so specialist engineers could assess the damage. They said “significant” movement was recorded during public visits on February 2 and 3.
READ MORE: Panic in European town as horrific landslide rocks houses over 25-metre cliff
READ MORE: Terrible landslide kills eight, more than 80 missing
Engineers warned that the slide created a vertical edge right next to the roadway; This means that any movement can occur below the road surface.
They said the asphalt can hide signs of collapse until failure occurs, making the route extremely unsafe.
According to the findings and ongoing instability, the road remains closed due to a “serious risk” to public safety and barriers have been erected at the site.
The barriers sparked outrage among locals; Many people noted that the lack of consultation or advance warning left people feeling disconnected and distressed, stating that the situation was “approaching a critical incident”.
Michelle said the closure had caused serious disruption to emergency services. he said WalesOnline: “Ambulances and fire trucks are having to divert via Hay-on-Wye, resulting in up to two hours of travel to get to A&E.”
*** Ensure our latest headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us your Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***

It was stated that the route was unsafe. (Image: John Myers)
He said there have already been medical emergencies in the valley, including incidents requiring CPR, and in at least one case, barriers had to be removed to allow emergency access.
Residents also stressed that due to the road closure, the only alternative route for drivers was to travel via the Gospel Pass, the highest road open to vehicles in Wales. They are worried about choosing this route due to icy and rainy conditions.
Michelle said the alternative route to Hay via Capel Y Ffin was narrow, potholed, prone to flooding, fog and ice and was unsuitable as a single access point for residents, school transport, delivery vehicles and emergency services.
Some residents now face journeys of up to 60 kilometers and 90-minute detours to reach Abergavenny, and parents have highlighted challenges with school transport and family obligations.
One local said: “Farmers are extremely stressed, angry and even depressed. It has been incredibly difficult to obtain supplies.

Neighborhood residents said the alternative route may also be unsafe. (Image: John Myers)
“Some risked driving when the barriers were opened to bring in essential supplies, otherwise the animals could have died. “We cannot use the Gospel Pass at all due to its size and road conditions.
“Some places need oil or heating oil, boilers need servicing, a tree is leaning precariously against power lines, and hospital or medical appointments are affected. The list goes on.
“Business has been disrupted, commutes have been severely disrupted, and essential services such as mail and delivery have been halted, including the collection of refugees.
“After weighing the dangers of crossing a ramp that could collapse if we were unlucky, many residents decided it was safer than going over the gorge. But we don’t want visitors or tourists coming from road closed signs.”
A spokesman for Monmouthshire County Council said: “Following the closure of Cwmyoy to Llanthony due to a serious landslide on January 30, specialist geotechnical engineers attended to inspect the area.

The collapse first occurred on January 30 when the riverbank collapsed. (Image: John Myers)
“Based on their advice and the ongoing deterioration, the road must remain closed due to the serious risk to public safety.
“We are working with relevant departments and partner organizations to coordinate appropriate measures for essential services, including emergency access, school transport, garbage collection and other essential provisions.
“We have also initiated the necessary research, monitoring and design work to take this situation further. The road will remain closed for public safety until a safe, engineered solution is provided.
“Monmouthshire County Council is aware of the disruption this situation is causing for local residents and is working to ensure public safety is protected. We will continue to keep residents informed via a dedicated area on the council’s website.”




