google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Tell us what you saw or heard, police urge Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s protection officers in Epstein probe

Police investigating Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s links to pedophile Jeffrey Epstein have urged his former bodyguards to “carefully consider whether anything they have seen or heard is relevant to their investigation”.

The Metropolitan Police said they had identified and contacted the former Duke of York’s former and close bodyguards and urged them to share any information that could assist the investigation.

Detectives are working with authorities in the US to establish whether London airports are being used to “facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation” after former prime minister Gordon Brown called on police to “urgently” re-examine claims that women or girls were trafficked on flights to Stansted.

Sir Keir Starmer is understood to be considering a change in the law that would remove the former prince from the line of succession after police conclude their investigation.

On Friday, the Met said there had been no new reports into allegations of sexual crimes since the release of millions of documents related to Epstein by the US Department of Justice.

The former prince was caught on camera after being arrested for abuse of public office on Thursday

The former prince was caught on camera after being arrested for abuse of public office on Thursday (Reuters)

The statement said: “We are evaluating this information and actively seeking further details from law enforcement partners, including those in the United States.

“In addition, the Met is identifying and contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely with Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor in a safeguarding capacity. They have been asked to consider carefully whether anything they have seen or heard during this period of service is relevant to our ongoing investigations and to share any information that may assist us.”

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has denied any wrongdoing regarding his links to Epstein but has not responded directly to the latest allegations.

The royal family is facing its biggest crisis in decades as the police search of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, enters its second day and is expected to continue until Monday.

The Royal Lodge, which has approximately 30 rooms, was Mountbatten-Windsor's home for more than two decades.

The Royal Lodge, which has approximately 30 rooms, was Mountbatten-Windsor’s home for more than two decades. (Shutterstock)

The 66-year-old man was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of abuse of public office and released under investigation after 11 hours of police interrogation.

Officers are investigating allegations that Mr Mountbatten-Windsor shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade envoy; He was forced to leave the post after it was revealed that he had continued his friendship with Epstein after the latter was convicted of sexual offences.

Searches at Royal Lodge began immediately after his arrest and officers returned on Friday to continue combing the 30-room property, which has been Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s home for more than two decades. As uniformed police officers patrolled the 98-acre property, several unmarked vehicles were seen entering the gates.

Thames Valley Police said: “Searches in Berkshire are continuing and are likely to continue until Monday.” Independent.

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest marks the biggest challenge to the monarchy since the abdication in 1936 of King Edward VIII, whose decision to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson triggered a constitutional upheaval.

Searches at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's former home entered a second day on Friday and are expected to continue over the weekend and into Monday

Searches at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home entered a second day on Friday and are expected to continue over the weekend and into Monday (Getty)

The days-long search could lead to a new scandal for the royal family after significant time and resources were spent trying to contain the row over Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s relationship with Epstein.

It comes as calls grow for the former Duke, who despite the scandal remains eighth in line to the throne, to be disinherited.

The move would require a parliamentary decision and Independent He understands that the government will consider introducing legislation that would allow him to be removed from office after the police investigation is concluded. Any change in the line of succession would require consultation and agreement with other Commonwealth territories, including Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said parliament should consider changing the law “in due course”, adding that “naturally the monarchy would want to make sure there is never a King”.

Meanwhile, Green Party leader Zack Polanski called for a “full legal investigation” following the former prince’s arrest, which could include investigating other public figures.

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey says Mountbatten-Windsor should be removed from the line of succession

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey says Mountbatten-Windsor should be removed from the line of succession (P.A.)

“Obviously we need to wait for the legal process to move forward, but I would say we really need to have a thorough legal investigation of public figures in the institutions where the crimes were committed, if they were committed, what we know, what other people in those institutions know, and making sure that the appropriate people are removed when necessary,” he said.

Earlier this week, York Central Labor MP Rachael Maskell told the BBC she believed Mr Moutbatten-Windsor’s probate should be revoked. This view was echoed in a YouGov poll which showed 82 per cent of Britons believed he should be disinherited, while only 6 per cent believed it should not be done. The survey conducted with the participation of 7,242 adults, announced on Friday, revealed that 12 percent of the participants did not have any opinion on this issue.

Police were present at the Royal Lodge, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's former home in Windsor.

Police were present at the Royal Lodge, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home in Windsor. (P.A.)

Princess Anne, meanwhile, continued her royal duties with a visit to the Yorkshire Crisps on Friday, ignoring a reporter who asked from across the car park if she had spoken to her younger brother since his arrest.

In a statement on Thursday, King Charles expressed his “deep concern” at the news of his brother’s arrest, adding that “the law must take its course.” Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s children, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, have yet to comment on his arrest.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button