google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Elon Musk’s Grok ordered to stop creating AI nudes by a Dutch court

Nikolas Kokovlis | Nurfoto | Getty Images

Elon Musk’s xAI and chatbot Grok have been banned from creating AI-generated images of adults and children without their consent by a Dutch court, increasing legal pressure on the company.

Amsterdam District Court issued a decision legal order on thursday It prohibits xAI from producing and distributing sexual images “in which individuals are partially or fully stripped naked without express consent,” according to a Google translation of the court affidavit..

The ruling, the first of its kind against Grok in Europe, also covers child sexual abuse material and prevents platform X, formerly known as Twitter, from offering Grok as a function in the region. xAI faces a fine of 100,000 euros ($115,000) for each day it fails to comply with the order, with a maximum fine of 10 million euros per measure.

The case was brought by Dutch non-profit group Offlimits, which fights online sexual exploitation, particularly of children and teenagers. xAI was also ordered to pay Offlimits legal costs of €2.2 million within 14 days.

AI chatbot firms face stricter regulations in UK online safety laws protecting children

“The judge drew a clear line yesterday: technology is not a license to violate human rights online,” Offlimits chief executive Robbert Hoving said in a statement. he said. “It’s also great that yesterday there was a vote to ban Nudify tools in Europe. It’s a double celebration because it’s important. You should enjoy the same online rights in every European country.”

CNBC has reached out to xAI for comment on the decision but has not yet received a response.

Estimated one three million sexualized images According to the Center to Counter Digital Hate (CCDH), it was created by Grok between December 29 and January 9, 2026. It turned out that more than 23,000 of these images depicted children.

xAI took action in January to block Grok from creating sexualized images of real people on X, and the restriction applied to all users, including paid subscribers. However, Offlimits found that the restrictions were easily circumvented, and the judge ruled that its measures were inadequate to properly protect users.

Numerous lawsuits have been filed against xAI; Baltimore on Tuesday became the first major U.S. city to sue the company for violating the city’s consumer protection laws and deceptively marketing Grok and X as safe for users.

Baltimore becomes first US city to file lawsuit over Grok’s deepfake porn as legal pressure mounts on Musk’s xAI

The complaint cited Grok’s penchant for “putting her in a bikini,” in which she used nude images of others. Musk, CEO of xAI, also participated by sharing his photo in a string bikini created by Grok.

Additionally, three teenagers in Tennessee filed a lawsuit against xAI last week after Grok created content depicting them in suggestive poses and scenarios.

Meanwhile, the European Commission launched an investigation into xAI in January for the non-consensual dissemination of sexually explicit material by children and other individuals, and is being investigated under the Digital Services Act (DSA) regulation.

UK online safety regulators Ofcom and the Information Commissioner’s Office have launched their own separate investigations into X and the distribution of non-consensual sexualized images.

While a broader ruling has not been implemented across Europe, Southeast Asian countries Malaysia and Indonesia blocked access to Grok in January over the production of non-consensual sexual content following “X Corp’s repeated failures” to address risks associated with the AI ​​tool.

Select CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a beat from the most trusted name in business news.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button