google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Yes, the United States was treated unfairly by the controversial Folarin Balogun red card decision

The USMNT advanced to the round of 16 after winning their first knockout round at a World Cup since 2002. By all accounts, the 2026 tournament has been a huge success for both the host United States and US soccer.

The U.S. Men’s National Team, perhaps for the first time in forever, looks dominant at times. They control the game and control possession. They move through balls at an elite international level. They outscored their opponents 8-1 with their starting 11 on the field. Malik Tillman’s free kick goal that gave Bosnia and Herzegovina a 2-0 win was world class.

And all of this can be eliminated through absurd and unfair arbitration.

ALEXI LALAS RIPS REFEREE AFTER FOLARIN BALOGUN’S RED CARD IN TEAM USA’S WIN: ‘An ABSOLUTE JOKE’

Folarin Balogun of the United States walks off the field after receiving a red card during the 2026 FIFA World Cup Round of 32 match between the United States and Bosnia and Herzegovina at San Francisco Bay Area Stadium in Santa Clara, California on July 1, 2026. (Matthew Huang/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Folarin Balogun’s red card came as a result of a series of ridiculous, inexcusable mistakes made by the referees in this match. And players, coaches and fans have noticed and pointed out what the ridiculous “process” has done to the legitimacy of FIFA’s governing body.

Biggest mistake? The decision to go to VAR was made in the first place. Andy Davies is a referee who has worked in the Premier League and Championship and has been a Select Group referee for over 12 seasons. published a short analysis He said there should never have been a review of ESPN’s VAR process for this game.

“VAR made its recommendation to the referee based on slow motion and still replays, which is not compatible with VAR protocols as these should only be used for point of contact purposes in the event of a red card tackle,” Davies said. he wrote.

Davies explained that according to the letter of the rules, there was always the possibility of the challenge itself receiving a red card. But the review was never supposed to be done because it was recommended solely based on slow-motion replays.

More importantly, there were many similar games throughout the tournament with no review or red card given. And the players know this.

Weston McKinnie looks at the referee

USA’s Folarin Balogun (R) stands on the sidelines after Brazilian referee Raphael Claus receives a red card as USA’s Weston McKennie (8) watches during the World Cup round of 32 match between the USA and Bosnia on Wednesday, July 1, 2026, in Santa Clara, California, near San Francisco. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

“Obviously the referee made a call, but I think it’s questionable,” USMNT star Weston McKennie said after the game. “I think there were a lot of games throughout the tournament where other players weren’t given cards. That’s disappointing.”

The most prominent similar game? A movie involving Argentinian star Lionel Messi. Messi went after the ball in the early stages against Algeria but caught Aissa Mandi with her studs. A free kick was awarded to Algeria, but Messi was not carded and there was no VAR review.

Algeria were so enraged that the call was not made that they complained to FIFA for poor refereeing.

There were many similar games throughout the World Cup that received no review whatsoever. And FIFA being FIFA, there is no process for Balogun to appeal his suspension for Monday’s big round of 16 clash against Belgium.

US WORLD CUP STAR CALLS THE LACK OF AN APPEAL PROCESS FOR HIS TEAMMATEET’S RED CARD ‘FAKE’

On-field referee Raphael Claus has previously been investigated for match-fixing in Brazil, but of course there is no indication that this was a motivating factor in this case. But while Claus was at full speed on the pitch, he saw nothing that warranted a card, let alone a red. But the VAR official sent off Balogun after incorrectly using slow motion to suggest a second look.

USMNT fans are right to be angry about this call. According to an expert referee with years of elite experience, not only were the rules misapplied, but similar plays in this tournament were also ignored. This is not just about Messi, but it is impossible not to see the double standard. VAR officials never request a review of the red card given to the tournament’s most famous player. But they did it against Balogun and the USMNT.

Bosnian Sead Kolasinac talks to USA's Folarin Balogun after being ejected while watching Christian Pulisic.

Bosnia’s Sead Kolasinac (5) talks with USA’s Folarin Balogun after Balogun’s expulsion, while Christian Pulisic (10) watches the World Cup round of 32 match between the USA and Bosnia on Wednesday, July 1, 2026 in Santa Clara, California. (Julio Cortez / AP)

OUTKICK NOW ON THE FOX APP: CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

The USMNT can still beat Belgium on Monday even without its star forward. Or they could be eliminated without him. Firstly, it does not excuse the referee’s poor decision-making and process. The latter would leave a permanent stain on the 2026 World Cup and likely damage the future of the sport in the United States. With or without Balogun, it’s nearly impossible for the USMNT to win the tournament. However, a defeat that comes after such an absurd, ridiculous process, a defeat that eliminates the possibility of a huge meeting with Spain or Portugal in the quarter-finals in Los Angeles, is unforgivable.

But for FIFA, a typical day at the office is unforgivable.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button