DWP confirms end of two major benefits in universal credit milestone

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has confirmed that two benefits claimed by millions of people are ending with the official launch of universal credit.
The government’s ‘transition to universal credit’ plan has seen claimants of all six ‘legacy benefits’ gradually move to universal credit from 2023. Wednesday marked the final phase of the plan with the end of income-related employment and support allowance (ESA) and housing benefit.
Other benefits involved in immigration include child tax credit, working tax credit, income support and income-based jobseeker’s allowance (JSA).
While the DWP said the scheme had officially ended, it confirmed that two million people had now switched from these “outdated” benefits to universal credit.
Minister for Social Security and Disability Sir Stephen Timms said: Independent: “The successful completion of the switch to universal credit marks a significant milestone, with nearly two million people moving from legacy benefits to universal credit, including income-related employment and support allowance and housing benefit, which have now closed for most working households.
“We have provided comprehensive, tailored support to ensure our most vulnerable customers are supported at every step of their journey, including home visits, referrals from safeguarding professionals, dedicated Business Center staff and extra time for those who need a designated person.”

As of February, around 1.6 million people were still receiving housing benefit; The majority of these are those in temporary accommodation and those of state pension age. Despite this milestone, this remains open to plaintiffs.
Some experts have criticized the move to a universal credit scheme, arguing that the DWP’s migration notification system (where claimants are given three months to emigrate or face losing their benefits) does not work for all claimants.
Get a free partial share of up to £100.
Capital is at risk.
Terms and conditions apply.
ADVERTISING
Get a free partial share of up to £100.
Capital is at risk.
Terms and conditions apply.
ADVERTISING
An investigation by the Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) in August 2025 warned that some people were facing “slippage through the net” when seeking help and there was evidence that some claimants were “missing deadlines and losing income”. This loss of income could lead to a “hard landing,” the researchers added.
Last month, Independent It revealed the case of a vulnerable couple who lost £600 a month switching to universal credit after following misleading advice about an immigration plan sent to them by their local council.
Sir Stephen added that the end of the scheme “comes alongside the important steps we have already taken to help people get into work: reforming universal credit to remove barriers that push people onto long-term sickness benefits, introducing the right to try and committing £3.5bn to encourage sick and disabled people into employment.”
The senior Labor MP is currently leading a review into the Personal Independence Payment (Pip), Britain’s most requested health and disability benefit by nearly four million applicants. The review, which is expected to be reported in the autumn, was announced last year under threat of a Labor revolt against the government over proposed cuts.
Visit The Independent’s regularly updated guide for the latest benefits news and advice.




