AFL icon claims racism caused psychiatric injuries

Nicky Winmar has had bottles of urine thrown at him, been subjected to racial slurs, been spat at as he went to change rooms, and his family received death threats while he was playing AFL.
The former St Kilda and Western Bulldogs player claims he suffered physical and psychiatric injuries including post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anxiety after years of being subjected to racist abuse from spectators.
Those injuries have allegedly limited his earning capacity since his retirement in 1999, court papers filed by Winmar’s lawyers on Thursday, as he formally joined the class action against the AFL as co-lead, claimed.
“Neil Winmar played Australian Rules Football in the lower leagues for a number of years and undertook mining, lifting, cutting and traffic control work. He also worked for Nortec, a business networking company,” a statement of claim filed in the Victorian Supreme Court said. It was said.
“Due to his psychiatric injuries, Neil Winmar has been unable to work for the past several years, has no current capacity to work and is unlikely to be fit to work in the open labor market in the future.”
The statement alleges that had Winmar not suffered the alleged injuries, he would have owned one or more successful small businesses, including leadership roles mentoring vulnerable young Indigenous people.
The Margalit class action claims the AFL and VFL must provide a safe place for First Nations players like Winmar, free from racist abuse, and protect him and other Indigenous Australian players from the risk of harm and abuse.
Winmar joins co-chair plaintiff Phil Krakouer, who played 141 games for North Melbourne, in the narrowed class action.
Previously the event was open to all black people who played in the VFL or AFL between 1975 and 2023, but this has been changed to only include First Nations players who played between May 1980 and 9 October 2025.
Referees, officials and other AFL staff are no longer eligible to take part, but family members of Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander players can take part if they believe they have been harmed by racist abuse from a loved one.
Winmar said he was proud to stand by Krakouer in the case, which will go to judicial mediation in March 2026.
“I want to ensure former Aboriginal players get the support they need,” he said in a statement.
“I want to ensure the AFL is a safe place for current and future generations of Aboriginal players.”
Krakouer said it was “brave” for Winmar to join him as co-leader; just as he showed courage during a match against Collingwood in 1993 by lifting his jersey and pointing to his body while being harassed by spectators.
“Racist abuse has deeply affected not only Nicky and me, but also our families, other players and their families within the AFL community,” he said.
The AFL is fighting the class action and has contacted the AAP to respond to the new allegations.
13THREAD 13 92 76
Lifeline 13 11 14

