Andrew is released under investigation following arrest, police confirm: Latest updates on shamed ex-Prince
Written by: JAMIE BULLEN, ON-BROADCAST EDITOR and OLIVIA CHRISTIE, NEWS CORRESPONDENT and ELIZABETH HAIGH, SENIOR NEWS CORRESPONDENT
Updated:
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Photos show the former Duke of York being taken away from Aylsham police station in Norfolk this evening.
In an update, Thames Valley Police said the man has been released under investigation and searches at his property in Sandringham have now been completed.
Andrew, eighth in line to the throne, was detained on his 66th birthday after allegations that he shared reports of his official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with disgraced financier Epstein.
His brother King had previously said “the law must take its course” after expressing his “deepest concern” about the arrest.
Follow the latest updates below
IN PICTURES: Andrew returns to Sandringham
Photos show Andrew returning to Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate after being released from police custody.
He is seen looking confused and terrified in the back of a vehicle.
Anti-monarchy group Republic tells King Charles to ‘speak up’ and demand Andrew’s arrest
Anti-monarchy group Republic today accused King Andrew III of taking credit for Andrew’s arrest. He said it was time for Charles to ‘come clean’ about what he knew about his younger brother’s relationship with pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
The group’s chairman, Graham Smith, said: ‘Make no mistake, this is a result of Republic action.
‘We reported Andrew to the police when others did not want to take action. When the police were reluctant to investigate, Cumhuriyet launched a special investigation.
‘Cumhuriyet’s lawyers will continue to investigate relevant alleged crimes and provide information to police over the coming weeks and months.
‘There are reasons to believe that other senior royals may have been material witnesses in relation to some crimes and may also have committed offences.
‘Police must follow all evidence wherever it leads.
‘Meanwhile, Charles and William need to talk and confess everything they know, when and why they continue to protect Andrew.’
The group said it planned to stage a protest at the Commonwealth Day ceremony on March 9, which will be attended by senior members of the royal family.
By Katherine Lawton
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was mercilessly mocked by social media users after he was arrested on the morning of his 66th birthday.
The former Duke of York was detained by police officers during an 8am raid on his new home at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate on Thursday.
Thames Valley Police confirmed the disgraced royal had been arrested just hours later; officers were able to hold him without charge for 24 hours from the moment he arrived at the police station.
He was later photographed in the back of a car leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk shortly after 7pm.
Memories of Andrew’s arrest, which took place on his birthday, went viral on social media, some receiving tens of thousands of likes and shares.
A post on
What is misconduct in public office?
Officers will continue their investigation as Andrew tries to return home to Sandringham after a bruising day in police custody.
The abuse of public office of which the former prince is accused is a crime that is open to interpretation and can be difficult to prove.
It is defined by the Crown Prosecution Service as ‘a serious intentional abuse or neglect of the powers or responsibilities of a public office’.
Between 2014 and 2024, approximately 191 people were found guilty of abuse of public office.
For a charge to be brought, the CPS states that ‘there must be a direct link between the misconduct and the abuse of those powers or responsibilities’.
Most importantly, any prosecutor must prove that whatever happened was intentional, so it was not an accident or actual mistake, but rather it was intentional or the result of a serious dereliction of duty.
Because such investigations are often complex, it will likely take weeks or even months before any decision on whether Andrew will be prosecuted is made.
IN PICTURES: Police leave Andrew’s Norfolk home after 11-hour search
Police left Andrew’s Norfolk home this evening after searching the property for 11 hours.
Unmarked police cars were seen leaving Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate at 7pm today after arriving at around 8am.
Searches continue at Andrew’s home in Windsor.
King Charles and Queen Camilla showed subtle signs of ‘inner anxiety’ as they attended public meetings just hours after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest, a body language expert has claimed.
The couple looked calm as they greeted royal fans at separate events this afternoon; While the King attended London Fashion Week, his wife went to Westminster to meet young music academics.
This came just hours after the King’s younger brother Andrew was arrested and detained during a morning raid on his new and old homes.
Multiple sources claimed that Charles and Buckingham Palace were not informed about the operation in advance by detectives.
Body language expert Judi James claimed Charles and Camilla, despite appearing seemingly calm, showed signs of ‘inner anxiety’ throughout their engagement today.
Read the full story below:
Police chiefs say informing the Home Office about Andrew’s arrest was ‘routine’
Previously, the Daily Mail revealed that police had given advance notice to the Home Office about plans to arrest Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
In an update, the National Police Chiefs’ Council said it was ‘in line with routine practice’.
They added: ‘This was reported 30 minutes before Thames Valley Police made the arrest.’
Press waiting at Sandringham for Andrew’s arrival
Members of the press gathered outside Andrew’s home, Wood Farm, in anticipation of his arrival there shortly after his release from custody.
Written by Inderdeep Bains, Deputy Chief Correspondent
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest for abuse of public office follows a raft of allegations emerging from the explosive Epstein files.
The then-Prince Andrew was given the prestigious role of Britain’s trade ambassador in 2001 to give him a new lease of life following the end of his 22-year Royal Navy career.
Now mounting allegations suggest he may have exploited his position for something worse than just travel privileges.
Here the Mail examines the dossier at the heart of the King’s brother’s dramatic collapse:
Picture: Inside Aylsham police station where Andrew was questioned
Norfolk Police Service opened new detention facilities at Aylsham police station in 2011, according to a police report.
The picture below shows what one of the regenerating cells looks like.
The report includes the following statements: ‘In 2011, we opened new custody suites in Aylsham, Great Yarmouth, King’s Lynn and Wymondham as part of a joint project with Suffolk Constabulary.
‘Not only has this provided us with the right detention capacity and fit-for-purpose facilities, it has also allowed us to modernize some of our older police station facilities.’
By Phillip Nieto, US Political Correspondent
Donald Trump said he was ‘very sorry’ to see Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of abuse of public office.
The former prince was arrested on his 66th birthday after British police raided his luxury Sandringham estate.
Speaking to reporters at Airforce One, Trump said: ‘I think it’s a shame. I think this is very sad. I think this is very bad for the royal family. Very very sad. ‘To me, that’s a very sad thing.’
Read the full story below:
Share or comment on this article: Andrew released under investigation after arrest, police confirm: Latest updates on disgraced former Prince