Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office | UK news

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office by police investigating the former prince’s dealings with convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Photos of unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate emerged just after 8am on Thursday. Mountbatten-Windsor has been living at Wood Farm for almost three weeks after leaving Royal Lodge in Windsor.
King Charles said “the law must take its course” after expressing his “deepest concern” about his brother’s arrest.
“From now on, there will be a full, fair and appropriate process in which this matter will be investigated appropriately and by the relevant authorities,” the statement said. “As I said before, we have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation on this matter.”
A statement from Thames Valley police said: “Today (19/2) we arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man currently remains in police custody.”
Norfolk police confirmed they were supporting Thames Valley’s investigation. Mountbatten-Windsor’s current whereabouts are unknown.
It is understood neither the king nor Buckingham Palace was informed before Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 on Thursday, has always denied any wrongdoing or accusations made against her. Thames Valley is one of several police forces considering allegations that resurfaced when the so-called Epstein files were released by the US Department of Justice.
The force has previously said it was looking into allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Epstein to have sex with Andrew and claimed she shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Oliver Wright, one of the force’s deputy chief constables, said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have launched an investigation into alleged misconduct in public office. It is important that we maintain the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offending. We understand that the public has significant interests in this case and will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
The family of the late Virginia Giuffre, who accused Mountbatten-Windsor of sexually abusing her when she was 17 as part of a sex trafficking ring run by Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, released a statement, allegations the former prince denies.
Family members Sky and Amanda Roberts and Danny and Lanette Wilson said: “Finally. Today our broken hearts are relieved by the news that no one is above the law, not even the royal family.
“On behalf of our sister Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we express our gratitude to England’s Thames Valley police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
“He was never a prince. Virginia did this for you, for survivors everywhere.”
Wright has previously said the information is considered in an evaluation phase to determine whether a criminal offense is suspected and whether a full investigation is warranted.
“Allegations of misconduct in public office involve certain complexities and therefore the assessment needs to be done carefully and comprehensively,” he said at a press conference last week.
“Whilst we cannot give a timetable for when a decision on whether a criminal investigation will be opened will be made, we can assure Thames Valley police that they are making progress as quickly as possible.”
According to the Crown Prosecution Service website, misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Republic, a group campaigning to abolish the monarchy, welcomed the arrest, which it claimed was in response to a crime report sent to Thames Valley police by its chief executive, Graham Smith.
Smith said: “The Commonwealth’s lawyers will continue to investigate relevant alleged crimes and provide information to police over the coming weeks and months.”
The allegations stem from documents released by the US justice department regarding Epstein and his connections to the rich and powerful. In the published emails, Mountbatten-Windsor appears to have shared reports of her official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
An email dated November 2010 was revealed to have been forwarded by the former duke to Epstein five minutes after it was sent by his then special adviser Amir Patel. Another message, apparently sent on Christmas Eve 2010, included a classified briefing about investment opportunities in rebuilding Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
Before the arrest was announced, Keir Starmer told BBC Breakfast that “nobody is above the law” when asked about Andrew. “Anyone with information should testify,” the Prime Minister said.
In a statement, the CPS said: “We are in close contact with the Metropolitan Police Service and Thames Valley Police in relation to high-profile individuals.
“We are ready to support any police investigation if necessary.”
Last October, amid growing concern within the royal family that headlines about Mountbatten-Windsor’s friendship with Epstein would bring the monarchy into disrepute, Buckingham Palace announced it would strip her of her royal titles.
It was also announced that the former duke will be moving out of the Royal Lodge at Windsor.
The king’s brother is effectively no longer a royal. However, he remains crown prince and is eighth in line to the throne.
Mountbatten-Windsor has been approached for comment.



