google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Andrew released under investigation as police searches continue at Royal Lodge: Live updates

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was last night released from police custody where he spent 11 hours following his dramatic arrest at his home in Sandringham.

The former prince became the first senior royal to be arrested in modern history after he was held on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

As his arrest triggered arguably the biggest crisis in the monarchy for nearly 400 years, his brother, the King, insisted Andrew should be subject to the full force of British justice, saying: ‘The law must take its course.’

Searches of Andrew’s former Royal Lodge home are continuing today as Andrew remains under investigation following his release. 

Follow the latest updates here 

Unmarked police cars head to Royal Lodge as searches continue

A line of vehicles drive past joggers toward the entrance to the Royal Lodge, a 30-room property and former residence to Britain's former prince Andrew, at Windsor Great Park in Windsor, Berkshire on February 20, 2026, a day after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on the royal family's remote Sandringham estate in eastern England. Britain's royal family was thrown into crisis on February 19 after former prince Andrew was arrested by police and held for hours, in a blow to the monarchy unprecedented in modern British history. (Photo by Ben STANSALL / AFP via Getty Images)

A number of unmarked vehicles believed to be police cars have been entering Royal Lodge today as searches continue following Andrew’s arrest.

Last night Thames Valley Police said searches in Norfolk at Andrew’s new home in Sandringham had concluded but that activity in Berkshire was still continuing.

Police were seen entering Windsor’s Royal Lodge, Andrew’s home of more than 20 years, yesterday following news of his arrest.

Earlier this morning, two police officers were seen leaving the front gates leading to Royal Lodge in Windsor, as a helicopter circled the property.

Unmarked vans, believed to be police vehicles, have been entering the grounds throughout Friday morning.

Tory MP urges Andrew to remove himself from line of succession

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been urged to give up his place as eighth in line to the throne following yesterday’s arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Conservative MP Andrew Bowie said the former prince should be removed from the line of succession if he is found guilty of the offence, and pushed him to do so voluntarily.

The shadow Scotland secretary, told GB News:

I think it would be the decent thing. Of course, if he’s found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession.

But, let’s remember, he’s not been found guilty of anything just yet – he has yet to be charged with anything. So we have to let the police investigation run its course, and I think we should all act accordingly subsequent to that.

‘He’s a scapegoat’: Andrew’s Norfolk neighbours react to his arrest

People living close to Andrew’s new home at Sandringham have described him as a ‘scapegoat’ as they reacted to his arrest today.

A resident of Dersingham, near the King’s estate, described his reaction to the former duke’s arrest on Thursday morning as ‘difficult’.

He said:

I’d say there’s no smoke without fire, is it? They’re certainly hounding him, alright. Obviously there’s something to look at.

Bricklayer Jamie Jackson told The Times:

My mum and my nan all follow [the royals] — anyone my age doesn’t care. I don’t know anyone that supports him round here.

Luke Schrier, 47, added:

I just think Andrew needs to go. If we went back 200 years ago, he’d have been beheaded. It’s an embarrassment to England because this is going to be worldwide.

But Magda Hope, 67, told the newspaper:

I do feel very sorry for him because he’s the scapegoat. They make an example of him when there’s so many others. What’s happening with Mr Trump?

And a retired teacher from King’s Lynn, who did not give his name, added:

I think it’s a bit of a witch-hunt, but he’s horrible.

Greens call for statutory inquiry into Andrew

Green Party leader Zack Polanski takes part in his first phone-in on LBC, from the Millbank Studios in Westminster, central London. Picture date: Wednesday February 18, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

Green Party leader Zack Polanski said there should be a full statutory inquiry following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

Asked for his reaction to the arrest while he was campaigning in Gorton, Greater Manchester, Mr Polanski said:

I think it’s pretty awful. I think there are lots of questions to be asked.

We obviously need to wait for the legal process to make its way, but I would say we really need a full statutory inquiry into public figures from institutions, where crimes have been committed – if they’ve been committed – what we knew, what other people in those institutions knew and, where necessary, to make sure that the appropriate people are removed.

Mr Polanski said he did not believe the country should have a monarchy.

He said:

The monarchy are doing a pretty good job in themselves of not having their proudest moments over various issues we’ve seen in the last couple of years and, when the public are ready to have that national conversation about the monarchy, I think issues like this certainly don’t help the monarchy’s case.

Pictures: Police surround Royal Lodge as search enters second day

These pictures show police have surrounded Royal Lodge as officers carrry out searches at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home for a second day in a row.

Aerial images show police are standing guard outside the 30-room property where Andrew lived for more than 20 years.

Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Windsor, Berkshire. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Picture date: Friday February 20, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire
Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Windsor, Berkshire. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Picture date: Friday February 20, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire
Aerial views as police surround Royal Lodge in Windsor after Andrew's arrest
Aerial views as police surround Royal Lodge in Windsor after Andrew's arrest
WINDSOR, UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 20: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York attends the traditional Easter Sunday Mattins Service at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle on April 20, 2025 in Windsor, England. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

by Martin Robinson and Piriyanga Thirunimalan

Sarah Ferguson is in a ‘bad way’ and feels that ‘everyone is out to get her’, her friends have admitted following ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest at Sandringham yesterday.

The former Duchess of York, 66, may now look to the UAE for cash and abandon her dream of a new home in Windsor to be near Beatrice and Eugenie.

But she is said to have told friends that there will be no tell-all book detailing the family’s ties to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, though she ‘might end up having to tell that story to the police’.

A royal source told the Daily Mail: ‘I’ve been talking to some of her friends. She sounds in a bad way. She’s been telling people she is really suffering with her mental health and thinks everyone is out to get her.

‘But at the same time she is adamant that she wants to get out there and start earning money again. I can’t see how she’s going to do it. Her brand is toxic.

‘Her best hope of a money-spinner is a tell-all book about how her family’s friendship with Epstein has destroyed everything and left the monarchy in crisis – but she’s ruled that out apparently. Besides she might end up having to tell that story to the police and a judge and jury or to some other form of inquiry.’

A royal source said Fergie would prefer Windsor as a base – but the UAE may appeal because she needs to make money.

Global andrew mountbatten-windsor newspaper front pages
Global andrew mountbatten-windsor newspaper front pages

Newspapers from across the world reacted with astonishment to the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

Some media outlets declared the unprecedented event heralded the ‘end of privilege’, as others marvelled at Britain’s ‘ex-prince at rock bottom’ and dubbed Andrew the ‘prince of darkness’.

Plastered on most front-pages was the stunned former prince in the back of a police vehicle with his fingers steepled anxiously – an the image that will no-doubt become the counterpart to the other infamous photograph of Andrew, standing beside a 17-year-old Virginia Giuffre in a London townhouse, 25-years-ago.

From the United States and Canada to Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Ireland, readers from across the world watched in disbelief as arguably the biggest crisis for the monarchy in 400 years befell Britain.

WINDSOR, ENGLAND - JUNE 15:  Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales attend the Order of the Garter Service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle on June 15, 2015 in Windsor, England. The Order of the Garter is the most senior and the oldest British Order of Chivalry and was founded by Edward III in 1348.  (Photo by Peter Nicholls - WPA Pool /Getty Images)

Ex-Prince Andrew was enthusiastically championed for the role of UK trade envoy by none other than Peter Mandelson, it has emerged.

Lord Mandelson, who is now under investigation by police himself, dismissed concerns about Andrew’s suitability from a number of critics – including his older brother Charles.

Charles, then the Prince of Wales, was worried his errant sibling would ‘use the post to ‘cultivate friendships with the wealthy, chase women and play golf’, according to Private Eye.

But in 2001, when Andrew was put forward to replace the Duke of Kent, Mandelson said the then Duke of York was ‘well qualified’ for the role.

‘As a former trade secretary I know of the great importance of trade missions’, he reportedly said.

‘With a royal association they can achieve a reach into overseas foreign markets which is of immense value to the economy of the country. In that context the Duke of York will have a very important role for which he is well qualified.

‘They’ve kicked him out’: Andrew’s former neighbours react to bombshell arrest

A dog walker who lives near Royal Lodge has said he ‘wasn’t surprised at all’ by Andrew’s arrest.

Speaking to the Press Association, the man, who wished to be known only as Ben, said:

I think the mood of the nation is behind the fact that he should answer for whatever he’s done.

No one knows what (the royal family) knew or what they didn’t know, but I think they’ve done everything they can to distance themselves. They’ve kicked him out, basically, haven’t they? And that’s it.

Asked what it has been like to have the former prince as a neighbour in Windsor, Ben replied:

He’s not popular. But he’s not popular anywhere, is he?

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was ruthlessly mocked by social media users after he was arrested yesterday morning.

Memes of Andrew’s arrest – which happened to take place on his 66th birthday – have gone viral on social media, with some raking in tens of thousands of likes and shares.

One post on X shows a photo of the former duke grinning next to an image of him with a straight face, alongside the caption: ‘Prince Andrew before and after he realised the Birthday stripper was a real policewoman.’

Another shows a photo of two female cops looking through the glass door of a house, accompanied by the words: ‘No, Mr Mountbatten – we’re not stripper-grams.’

One AI-generated image shows Andrew with a tiny cupcake and candle while sitting inside a prison cell in jail scrubs, with ‘Happy Birthday’ written on the walls.

Read our comment on the future of the monarchy inside today’s Daily Mail…

Were the Royal Family ever brought so low? They have weathered many profound crises down through the years but the arrest of the King’s brother, on suspicion of handing confidential state documents to the world’s most notorious paedophile, plumbs new depths.

While it was being described as the greatest threat to the Monarchy since the abdication of Edward VIII, this is a scandal of a very different hue.

Like the running psychodrama between Charles and Diana and the tawdry Harry and Meghan saga, the abdication was essentially about relationships. But Andrew is accused of base criminality, which puts the House of Windsor in an unprecedented and hugely dangerous situation.

It goes without saying that the former prince is entitled to the presumption of innocence and he denies breaking the law. But documents suggest he sent confidential reports on his commercial missions as a UK trade envoy to Jeffrey Epstein.

Read the full comment piece here:

Cars wait at the entrance to Royal Lodge, a 30-room property and former residence to Britain's former prince Andrew where police said they are still conducting a search, in Windsor, west of London on February 20, 2026, a day after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on the royal family's remote Sandringham estate in eastern England. Britain's royal family was thrown into crisis on February 19 after former prince Andrew was arrested by police and held for hours, in a blow to the monarchy unprecedented in modern British history. (Photo by Ben STANSALL / AFP via Getty Images)

by Martin Robinson

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office may allow police to ‘build a case’ that he was an alleged part of Jeffrey Epstein’s sex trafficking operation.

A convoy of police entered Royal Lodge, Windsor, this morning as searches of his former home continue.

Detectives are probing Andrew’s conduct as a trade envoy for the UK after emails in the Epstein Files suggested he may have shared confidential information with his paedophile friend, including reports of his official visits and potential investment opportunities.

But leading UK lawyers believe that police, who are searching Andrew’s homes and have access to his devices, can now widen their investigation into any alleged sexual offences.

Marcus Johnstone, a leading criminal defence lawyer specialising in sex crime, believes that Andrew’s arrest will allow detectives to hunt for evidence related to sexual offences, including allegations Andrew allowed Epstein sex trafficking victims into Buckingham Palace.

Mr Johnstone told the Daily Mail:

Andrew’s arrest is not unexpected. His financial ties to Epstein are his legal weak spot. Investigators will be using this as the basis to scrutinise his relationship with Epstein even further, and in doing so build a case that Andrew participated in some way in Epstein’s sex trafficking operation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button