Annual limit increased to 21, despite Brisbane Roar concerns
Updated ,first published
The number of concerts allowed at Suncorp Stadium each year is planned to increase by 75 per cent, leading to more big-ticket events being held at the 52,500-seat inner-city venue.
But a win for music fans is a potential loss for the Brisbane Roar, who expect to be away from home ground more often due to larger attendance events in an increasingly congested stadium calendar.
The previous Labor government doubled the gig quota from six to 12 in 2024. On Wednesday, Crisafulli’s government improved by nine points, raising the annual limit to 21.
Earlier this month the Roar were forced to switch their game against Perth Glory on February 28 to Redcliffe’s Kayo Stadium less than three weeks ago.
This was due to concerns about how the field would recover after last weekend’s Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo and three upcoming Ed Sheeran shows; this was an issue the stadium addressed during the announcement.
“Whilst we remain confident that the pitch will be ready for the Queensland Reds v Highlanders match, they understand from previous feedback that the cosmetic appearance and reduction in turf cover resulting from the expanded ground cover may impact A-League matches more than other football regulations,” a stadium spokesman said.
“The Suncorp Stadium grounds crew are one of the best in the world and, as they have proven time and time again, will be preparing the pitch for Friday’s game against the Reds. [February 27].”
Being kicked out of Suncorp has been a common story for the Brisbane Roar, who have had to make in-season schedule changes since returning to Brisbane from Redcliffe. The club even missed out on a home Australian Cup final in 2023 due to lack of pitch.
The Roar, who are negotiating a new venue lease with Suncorp Stadium, refused to comment on the change in policy.
However, it was anticipated that alternative venues would need to be found next season due to the conflict between the A League season and the concerts.
The Super Rugby season also coincides with the peak concert period, but the Queensland Reds have no intention of moving matches outside Suncorp Stadium.
Sports Minister Tim Mander said the increase in concerts was in response to strong demand for bigger shows to come to Brisbane.
“Queensland’s ability to host world-class events demonstrates exactly why we are becoming the home of more and more major sports and events in Australia,” he said.
“By temporarily lifting the concert cap, we can secure more global tours, support local jobs and strengthen Brisbane’s reputation as a world-class events destination as we build towards the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
“We will continue to work closely with the local community to ensure residents are informed about additional events in 2026.”
Questions to Mander about alternative venues for the Roar and the government’s progress on the previously announced planned redevelopment of a potential alternative venue in Perry Park were referred to Deputy Prime Minister Jarrod Bleijie’s office.
“As set out in the 2032 Delivery Plan, grassroots sports facilities across the state will benefit from improvements, including improvements to Perry Park,” a spokesman for Bleijie said.
“Research into the improvement of Perry Park continues in partnership with Football Queensland.”
Start your day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
