The situation behind the ridiculous demand for Zach Merrett from the Essendon Bombers to the Hawthorn Hawks
Relations between clubs are weak.
“Hawthorn and Essendon never liked each other,” McCartney said, adding that there was still respect between the clubs.
Despite footage of Merrett’s agent, Tom Petroro, yelling in his Hawthorn room just before the trade deadline on Wednesday night as if angry at the Hawks for not being able to get a deal done, the footage gave a misleading impression. According to a source familiar with what was said, the footage showed Petroro actually speaking angrily to Hawthorn from Essendon.
Bombers stars Zach Merrett and Andrew McGrath in happier times earlier this year.Credit: AFL Pictures
Petroro also manages Essendon pair Nate Caddy and Isaac Kako, which will lead to interesting contract negotiations with them.
Loading
Petroro had repeatedly warned Essendon during the trade period that the club could be in the same situation 12 months later, that the star player still did not want to leave the team, but the trade price had dropped.
Hawthorn’s best offer for Merrett was three first-round picks (10 and 22 this year, plus a first-round pick next year) and Henry Hustwaite.
Essendon chief executive Craig Vozzo said he understood Merrett’s frustrations and the club’s desire for change and improvement at home.
“Zach has expressed his disappointment and we share his hunger to get better. He is a top competitor and a professional – so we love him and want him to come back to our club,” Vozzo said.
“We share his wishes for the club.
“Obviously there were a lot of emotions during this period that were difficult for both parties.
“The challenge for us was that we respected him so much as a person and as a player.”


