Zelensky declares state of emergency in Ukraine’s energy sector

Ukraine has declared a state of emergency in the country’s energy sector, with a particular focus on Kiev, as ongoing Russian attacks continue to leave thousands of residents without electricity.
The country is in the midst of a particularly cold winter, with night temperatures dropping to around -20C in Kiev.
Following a special cabinet meeting, President Volodymyr Zelensky said a 24-hour task force would be established to deal with the damaging consequences of Russian air strikes and worsening weather conditions.
He accused Moscow of deliberately taking advantage of harsh sub-zero temperatures to target critical infrastructure, including energy distribution facilities.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Ukraine was “less ready to make a deal than Russia.”
He told the Reuters news agency that it was Zelensky, not Russian President Vladimir Putin, who stopped peace talks during nearly four years of war.
“I think Ukraine is less ready to make a deal,” Trump said.
Asked why US-led negotiations have yet to resolve the conflict, Trump replied: “Zelensky.”
Kiev has been particularly hit by Russian attacks in recent weeks, leaving thousands of homes without regular electricity, heating and running water.
After a particularly intense night of missile and drone attacks last week, 70% of the capital was left without power for several hours.
Zelensky said the new measures will include the procurement of vital energy equipment and resources from abroad to replace damaged facilities.
“The First Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine – Minister of Energy is tasked with overseeing the work supporting people and communities in these conditions,” he wrote to X.
He also ordered the number of emergency hotspots around Kiev to be increased to provide heat and electricity to residents, a move that could lead to the relaxation of the current midnight curfew in the capital.
Russia’s attacks on energy infrastructure were not limited to the capital.
Last week, Ukrainian officials said more than a million people in southeastern Ukraine suffered hours of heat and water shortages due to Russian airstrikes.
Maxim Timchenko, chief executive of DTEK, Ukraine’s largest private energy provider, told the BBC last month that it was living in permanent crisis mode due to Russia’s attacks on the grid.
As the fourth anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion approaches, Timchenko said Russia has repeatedly targeted DTEK’s energy grid with “waves of drones, cruise and ballistic missiles” and the company is struggling to cope.
He added that the intensity of the strikes is so frequent that “we just don’t have time to recover.”
DTEK currently provides electricity to 5.6 million Ukrainians.




