google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Contractor killed working at the Port Kembla Steelworks

A contractor has died after being struck by a steel beam that reportedly fell from a crane in a tragic incident at the Port Kembla steelworks near Wollongong.

Emergency services rushed to the BlueScope Steel site at around 10.30am on Monday morning following reports that a man had been injured.

Paramedics found a seriously injured man in his mid-20s, but he could not be saved and died at the scene.

A police spokesman said an investigation into the man’s death had begun.

Camera IconIn the first evaluation, it was stated that the steel beam fell from the crane and fatally hit the worker. Provided Credit: News Corp Australia

“A report will be prepared for the coroner,” a spokesman said.

A SafeWork NSW spokesman said they were informed of the fatal workplace incident involving a worker at the steelworks, about 95km south of Sydney.

“SafeWork NSW inspectors are participating in response,” a spokesman said.

Investigations into the man’s death are ongoing, but a preliminary assessment indicates a steel beam fell from the crane, fatally striking the worker, a spokesperson for steel mill operator BlueScope told NewsWire.

The spokesman said emergency services were at the scene and co-operating with the investigation.

“Our immediate priority is to support our people, first responders and the families of those involved,” a spokesperson said.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and will provide further information when available.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button