Coroner finds ‘insufficient evidence’ to rule if abusive ex-partner started fire that killed woman

WARNING: Confrontation details
A coroner has ruled there was “insufficient evidence” to determine whether a devastating house fire that claimed a woman’s life was deliberately lit by her abusive ex-boyfriend, despite claims made by the family that he had previously threatened to burn the house down.
Lizzie Reuben, 47, suffered burns to 97 per cent of her body after her home in Ayr, south of Townsville in Far North Queensland, went up in flames on August 9, 2022.
He died later that day at Townsville University Hospital.
Ms Rueben’s partner Isei Navutovuto, 65, also suffered burns to 50 per cent of his body and was transferred to the burns unit at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital (RBWH) in Brisbane.
The police planned to charge Mr. Navutovuto with murder during the subsequent investigation, but he died 20 days later.
The inquest into the deaths of Ms Reuben and Mr Navutovuto lasted two days in July.
Assistant State’s Attorney Stephanie Gallagher said in her findings that forensic evidence showed the fire was started by one person and that gasoline was used as an accelerant, as opposed to something like an electrical malfunction.
However, he ruled that there was insufficient evidence to determine exactly how the fire started or whether it was started by Mr Navutovuto.
“Mr Navutovuto’s violence was, in relative terms, not serious enough to give anyone any indication that he would carry out the actions he did on 9 August 2022,” Ms Gallagher said in her findings.
Ms Reuben, known to her family as “Florrie”, “Flo” and “Kory/Kori”, and Mr Navutovuto had been in a relationship since 2018.
Family members who spoke to police described it as “over and over and over again, rude, toxic, not nice and not healthy” and the pair would often fight while drinking.
Ms Gallagher stated that there was a history of domestic violence perpetrated against Ms Reuben by Mr Navutovuto throughout their relationship.
At the time, the domestic violence protection order had been in effect for about eight months.
In her findings, Ms Gallagher stated: “Although Mr Navutovuto’s violence increased over the course of the relationship, he apparently never caused any visible injuries to Ms Reuben, and the reported incidents of domestic violence between them were described as relatively minor and short-lived.”
Ms. Reuben’s family members gave statements stating that Mr. Navutovuto threatened to burn down his partner’s home in late July 2022.
Someone claimed Ms Reuben said Mr Navutovuto had “lost it” and was “walking around with a can of fuel and trying to burn the house down”.

Six days before the fire, Ms Reuben allegedly told another person by phone that Mr Navutovuto had come to the house “with a canister and a lighter, threatening to burn the house down and set me on fire”.
On August 9, 2022, Ms. Reuben called Triple-0 and told the police that she was worried about Mr. Navutovuto committing suicide in the shed.
“He said he was too scared to go and check the shed and he couldn’t see because there was no light in the shed,” Ms Gallagher said.
“Ms. Reuben appeared frightened and upset during the phone call but was not noticeably intoxicated.”
At 2.34am that morning, two police officers checked the address.
Ms Gallagher said neither Ms Reuben nor Mr Navutovuto mentioned past alleged threats to burn down the house during the nearly two hours police and paramedics attended.
“No petrol cans were seen in the house or shed and Mr Navutovuto gave no indication that he had any immediate plans to harm Ms Reuben,” Ms Gallagher said.
About 45 minutes after authorities left, a neighbor heard voices and a male voice “yelling and swearing.”
“The neighbor then heard Miss Reuben screaming and saw the house on fire,” Ms Gallagher continued.
“He kicked in the front door to get in and saw Mr. Navutovuto running down the hallway, appearing to pour accelerant that was already on fire.”
In her findings, Ms Gallagher stated that detectives were preparing to bring criminal proceedings against Mr Navutovuto for murder during the course of their investigation.
He said Mr. Navutovoto’s escalating behavior went unnoticed by police responding to domestic violence calls and that response was “impeded.”
The reluctance of Ms. Reuben and her family members to follow up on complaints”.
Mr. Navutovuto had a similar tendency to downplay events and offer “what appeared to be alternative explanations” for allegations of violence.
Ms Gallagher continued: “Given the information they (police) had at the time they attended Ms Reuben’s address, I find that there was no reasonable basis for anyone to have foreseen events that occurred after they left.” continued Mrs. Gallagher.

“It is only with the benefit of hindsight that any recommendation as to what should have happened can be made.
“But even then there is no evidence before the court to suggest that any alternative action taken by police officers that night could have prevented the deaths.”
In assessing forensic evidence, Ms Gallagher said petrol was used as an accelerant.
Medical evidence regarding the burns suffered by Ms Reuben contradicted Mr Navutovuto’s view that she had poured it on herself.
“The evidence was that the pattern of burns he saw on Ms Reuben was inconsistent with an accelerant having been poured on her unless she was unconscious at the time,” Ms Gallagher said.

“While the police were preparing to charge Mr. Navutovuto with the murder of Ms. Reuben, Mr. Navutovuto was still alive at the time and may have been in a position to give his version of events.
“Since he is no longer able to do so, as is Ms. Reuben, I feel that I do not have sufficient evidence to make a definitive determination as to exactly how the fire started or whether it was started by Mr. Navutovuto.”
Ms Gallagher said following the “extensive” review, a number of shortcomings and missed opportunities were identified, but the police response to the couple’s domestic violence complaints was “generally in line with QPS policy and procedure in force at the time”.
He recommended the Queensland Police Commissioner implement two programs to help police deal with domestic violence cases more effectively.
Domestic Violence helplines
news.com.au mental health helplines


