google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Hollywood News

Death Toll From Floods and Mudslides in Sri Lanka Rises to 132, With 176 People Still Missing

COLUMBO: The death toll from severe floods and landslides caused by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka has risen to 132, while 176 people are still missing, officials said on Saturday.

The South Asian country’s disaster management center said about 78,000 people were displaced and in temporary shelters.

The death toll is expected to rise. Social media posts on Saturday showed many areas affected by overnight landslides that authorities have yet to reach.

Sri Lanka has been affected by severe weather conditions since last week. Conditions worsened further on Thursday; Heavy downpours flooded homes, fields and roads and triggered landslides in the mountainous region, where mostly tea is grown.

The government closed schools and offices and postponed exams.

Many reservoirs and rivers overflowed, blocking roads. Authorities stopped passenger trains and closed roads in many parts of the country after rocks, mud and trees fell on roads and railway tracks.

On Friday, water flowing down from severely affected areas began inundating areas around the capital Colombo, which receives relatively little rainfall.

Officials say Ditwah, which has developed in the seas east of Sri Lanka, will most likely move towards the southern coast of India on Sunday.

Neighboring India has sent aid to support two search and rescue teams of 80 rescuers and ongoing operations, the country’s embassy in Colombo said on Saturday.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button