Diddy judge offers hip-hop mogul a way to cut up to a year off his prison sentence

-
Sean “Diddy” Combs may have a chance to reduce his prison sentence through a drug abuse program.
-
Combs was sentenced to more than four years in prison on prostitution-related charges.
-
His judge will recommend that he be incarcerated near New York and placed in prison drug programs.
Sean “Diddy” Combs It can commute a prison sentence exceeding four years by up to 12 months.
Combs’ Manhattan sentencing judge offered to recommend that the 55-year-old hip-hop mogul be evaluated for any available substance abuse programs during his incarceration.
In a letter to Combs’ lawyers released late Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian He cited the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ Residential Drug Abuse Program.
RDAP is an intensive, 500-hour, nine-month substance abuse treatment program for inmates. Its completion could grant Combs the right to release as much as a year early, prison consultants told Business Insider.
“A lot of people quit, they find it hard,” said Justin Paperny, a former inmate whose consultancy White Collar Advice. “But it helps you correct your way of thinking, such as faulty thinking, bad decisions, and overcome addiction. Many people like the program.”
Subramanian Doomed Combs He was sentenced to 4 years and 2 months in prison last week rapper sentenced Prostitution-related charges involving transporting male escorts across state lines for drug users “flip out” Sexual encounters with ex-girlfriends.
Combs locked up Brooklyn federal prison since his September 2024 indictment – and the time he spent there will count towards his overall sentence.
In a letter to Subramanian earlier this week, Combs’ attorney, Teny Geragos, requested that the court “strongly recommend” that the Bureau of Prisons move Combs to prison. Federal Correctional Institution at Fort DixA low security facility in New Jersey.
FCI Fort Dix, more than 70 miles from New York City, offers RDAP, which Geragos suggested would be beneficial to Combs.
In his order Wednesday, the judge said he would recommend a prison in the geographic area Combs chooses, but would not recommend a specific facility. He said he would leave this determination to the BOP.
Subramanian told the BOP that he would recommend that Combs be “incarcerated as close to the New York metropolitan area as possible” and that he be considered for admission to any substance abuse program “for which he qualifies.”
On: Combs’ trialDefense lawyers blamed the music mogul’s violent streak on his drug use.
As part of the request for presentation prison sentenceCombs defended his newfound sobriety in a letter to Subramanian.
“Although this was the hardest and darkest period of my life, good things came out of my incarceration,” Combs wrote in his letter. “First of all, I am sober for the first time in 25 years. I am trying my best to deal with my drug use and anger issues, take responsibility, and take positive steps towards recovery.”
Subramanian chastised Combs for his “serious” crimes at his sentencing hearing but told him: “You’ll get through this.”
“There is light at the end of the tunnel,” the judge said.
Paperny said a judge’s recommendation regarding substance abuse programs in prison is always helpful, but there are other administrative hurdles that must be overcome to be accepted into programs like RDAP and gain leave for the year.
He said the BOP has the discretion to deny early release to any inmate whose conviction includes elements of violence and gun possession.
Paperny predicted the BOP will consider a number of factors, including the judge’s recommendation, but the key factor will be any descriptions of violence or weapons that might be included in Combs’ probation report, which is not a public document.
“A lot of this is at the discretion of the Bureau of Prisons,” he said.
BOP and Combs’ attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Read the original article Business Content




