google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Hollywood News

Fire-hit Goa nightclub was built illegally on salt pan, operated without licence: Probe report

The Goa nightclub that killed 25 people in a deadly fire in early December was illegally built on a salt pan and allowed to operate without a valid trading licence, according to a judicial inquiry report produced by the government.

The investigation report, made public on Wednesday, December 31, 2025, stated that the unfortunate structure stood in the middle of a salt pan and was “not permitted under any law.”

The report stated that ‘Birch by Romeo Lane’ nightclub, located in North Goa’s Arpora village, continues to operate illegally without a valid licence, and no action has been taken by the local panchayat to seal the property.

Fireworks were staged at the facility “without due care and attention” and without adequate fire safety equipment, causing a fire on the night of December 6, according to a police report cited at the inquest and ordered by the state government following the tragedy.

The report, submitted ahead of a review meeting chaired by Chief Minister Pramod Sawant in the presence of senior officials, states that the revised site sketch “depicts the hexagonal structure in the middle of the salt pan/water body”.

“This makes it clear that the structure is located in the middle of the salt pan/water body, which is not permitted to be constructed under any law now or previously in force. Converting the salt pan is in violation of Section 32 of the Land Revenue Act as well as the Coastal Zone Regulations.”

The state government released the full report to the media on Wednesday, December 31.

The investigation noted that the village panchayat of Arpora Nagoa on December 16, 2023, issued an establishment license valid until March 31, 2024 to “Being GS Hospitality Goa Arpora LLP” to operate a bar and restaurant-nightclub. The license was not subsequently renewed.

“The premises continued to operate illegally without a valid trading licence, and no action was taken by the Village Panchayat to seal the premises,” the report said, adding that Section 72-A of the Goa Panchayat Raj Act allows sealing of premises trading without a licence.

Panchayat secretary Raghuvir Bagkar, in his statement before the inquiry panel, admitted that although he was aware that he had not renewed his trade licence, he “did not inform any other department which relied on the trade license issued by the Panchayat and issued its permits/licences”.

According to the report, village sarpanch Roshan Redkar admitted before the investigating magistrate that the Panchayat had neither sealed the building nor informed the concerned departments about the cancellation of the nightclub’s licenses.

“Therefore, it reveals that they colluded with the owners of this property to enable the restaurant to operate illegally,” the report said. The report also added that the rules of conduct were violated.

The investigation flagged allegations of forgery and procedural violations in the 2023 license application, observed that entries such as “H No 502/1-RT8; Bar & nightclub” were later added in different ink, and that many mandatory documents, including approved plans, photographs and land records, were missing.

According to the report, the application was received on December 11, 2023, and the village panchayat passed a resolution granting approval on December 14, 2023. The final certificate was hastily issued to the nightclub operator on December 16, 2023.

In his statement before the investigation committee, the Panchayat Secretary said, “I did not check the house number while granting a one-year trading license to the hexagonal restaurant.”

The judge’s investigation report stated that between January 2024 and December 2025, numerous complaints about noise pollution and parking (at the nightclub) were recorded, but were repeatedly closed with statements that “nothing was found on site”.

He emphasized that the directions of the Bombay High Court in Goa regarding inspections and night patrols in the area were not followed.

According to a police report cited in the investigation, fireworks displays at the nightclub were held “without due care and attention” and without adequate safety equipment, triggering a fire that killed 25 people, including tourists and employees of the institution.

The judge’s investigation report stated that the club lacked emergency exits on both the ground and deck floors and was operating without valid permits.

The investigation allegedly uncovered fake police warrants and tampering of license instruments to include house numbers.

The fire-related case is being examined under multiple sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS); these include 105 (involuntary manslaughter not amounting to murder), 125 (acts endangering the life or personal safety of others through rashness or negligence), 287 (negligent conduct in relation to fire or flammable materials), 338 (forgery of valuable documents) and 61(2) (criminal conspiracy), among others.

Police have so far arrested eight people, including the owners of three nightclubs. Among those arrested were brothers Saurabh and Gaurav Luthra, who are Delhi-based businessmen and co-owners of the nightclub. The brothers fled to Thailand within hours of the tragedy and were deported to India on December 17.

Five Goa government officials have been suspended so far in connection with the nightclub fire.

It was published – 01 January 2026 07:40 IST

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button