google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Emma Raducanu sparks major Australian Open concerns as she withdraws from first match of 2026 just HOURS before she was due on court

Emma Raducanu’s 2026 got off to a less-than-encouraging start, with the England number 1 forced to withdraw just hours before the first match of the new season.

The 23-year-old was due to play for Team GB in the United Cup match in Perth this week as she began her preparations ahead of the Australian Open, but pulled out of the match at the eleventh hour before her first draw with former world No.1 Naomi Osaka.

Raducanu is believed to be suffering from a foot problem, but team captain Tim Henman said it was a marginal decision and the player would not be able to score a draw in the opener.

“I have to be honest, it was very, very close,” Henman told Australian broadcaster Nine.

‘It wasn’t an easy decision. He was developing and practicing really well. ‘I don’t think he’ll be out of this tournament yet.’

Afterwards, Henman revealed that there was still a chance he could play on Monday but that was “up in the air”.

Emma Raducanu withdrew from her clash with Naomi Osaka at the 11th hour on Sunday

The 23-year-old was in Perth for Team GB duties in the United Cup at the start of the year

The 23-year-old was in Perth for Team GB duties in the United Cup at the start of the year.

‘He was struggling with his foot at the end of last year,’ he added. ‘The progress he’s made has been amazing.

‘He’s been training in London, he’s actually just doing static training, he’s been on the training ground, moving around and playing games. He’s so close.

‘From a tomorrow’s perspective the situation is still a bit uncertain. We had to put Emma on the list because if we don’t it leaves us with only one option. ‘We will discuss this as a team when we return this evening’.

Raducanu was replaced by fellow British star Katie Swan, who lost to the Japanese-American star in straight sets.

But he is thought to have stayed at the RAC Arena, where England were playing their fixtures, to watch their compatriots and cheer on Billy Harris’ 7-6 (6-4), 6-3 win over Japan’s Shintaro Mochizuki.

Raducanu said of his withdrawal: “At the end of the day it’s a team event and Katie is playing great, which gives me an extra day, so I’m looking forward to this match.”

Raducanu’s season ended in October due to illness at the end of the Asian Swing, but he was optimistic about his pre-season preparations with coach Francisco Roig, who joined his team last summer.

But after multiple seasons plagued by physical ailments, Raducanu has had a relatively uneventful 2025 and will be looking to qualify for the Australian Open, ranked 29th.

Raducanu will be looking forward to showcasing his off-season work with new coach Francisco Roig

Raducanu will be looking forward to showcasing his off-season work with new coach Francisco Roig

The Bromley native also enjoyed a peaceful and snowy winter break at his parents' house

The Bromley native also enjoyed a peaceful and snowy winter break at his parents’ house

A return to court looks further away after fellow British No.1 Jack Draper was forced to withdraw from the Australian Open

A return to court looks further away after fellow British No.1 Jack Draper was forced to withdraw from the Australian Open

Raducanu said in the off-season: ‘I learned a lot about myself this year. ‘The start of the year was not so smooth. I went through some very tough times on and off the field, but it really taught me the strength I needed to pull myself out of the situation. Also, what do I need to do to avoid falling again?’

The GB team had already been subject to substitutions following the withdrawal of Raducanu’s doubles partner Jack Draper, whose return from injury had also become difficult.

The world number 10 has not played since withdrawing from the US Open in September and announced under frustrating circumstances that he would miss competing in Melbourne at the year’s first Grand Slam.

‘Unfortunately, my team and I have decided not to go to Australia this year. This is a really tough decision; “It’s one of the biggest tournaments in our sport,” he said.

‘However, I have been experiencing this injury for a long time. ‘I’m in the very last stages of the process and it doesn’t seem like a wise decision to get back to the top level of five-set tennis so quickly.’

Draper ended his season early after dealing with bone bruises in his arm during a poor turf season over the summer.

But Britain’s No.1 insisted there is no shortage of desire to get back on the pitch as soon as possible.

“I have experienced many setbacks so far, but this has been by far the hardest, most challenging, most complicated,” he added. ‘Making me want to be the player I want to be always seems to make me more resilient, hungrier. “I’m looking forward to getting back out there and racing in 2026.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button