google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Victoria bushfire: Body found in Longwood fire as disaster turns deadly

Victoria’s bushfire crisis has claimed its first life as police confirmed a body was found about 100 meters from a vehicle at the Longwood fire.

Victoria Police said shortly before 4pm on Sunday that human remains were found off Yarck Road in Gobur, one of the areas hardest hit by the fires in north central Victoria.

“Victoria Police has confirmed that human remains have unfortunately been found at the site of the Longwood bushfire,” police said in a statement.

“Police managed to reach the area affected by the fire on Yarck Road in Gobur this afternoon. Remains were found approximately 100 meters from a vehicle. The person has not yet been formally identified. Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.”

The discovery marks the first confirmed death in Victoria’s three-day bushfire emergency, which continues to wreak havoc across the state.

Fire-ravaged Victorians will be able to access support payments and emergency accommodation under a $19.5 million package as more than 30 wildfires continue to scorch the state.

Prime Minister Jacinta Allan and Anthony Albanese made the joint announcement in Bendigo on Sunday.

“My message to Victorians is quite simple, we have your back,” the Prime Minister said.

“Not only during this crisis, but also during the recovery.”

As part of the package, there will be a $10 million program to help distribute feed to farmers in need.

Communities hardest hit by wildfires will be able to claim a one-time disaster recovery payment of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child.

Camera IconBENDIGO, AUSTRALIA – NewsWire Photos – JANUARY 11, 2026: Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan, with Premier Anthony Albanese, tours the Bendigo Incident Control Center for one of the many bushfires burning across the state, followed by a press conference. Sunday, January 11. 2026.NewsWire/David Crosling Credit: Freelance Available David C/NCA News Wire

Starting Wednesday, residents of Barkers Creek, Harcourt, Harcourt North, Longwood, Longwood East, Natimuk, Ravenswood South, Ruffy and Sutton Grange will be eligible.

More than 350,000 hectares of land have been burned so far.

“We’re not over the worst of this situation yet,” Ms Allan said.

There are 32 active fires across the state, 10 of which are major fire areas.

Victorian Emergency Management Commissioner Tim Wiebusch said more than 300 structures were lost.

“The good news is we’re starting to get a handle on some of these fires,” he said.

Victoria bushfires - Images from the Longwood fire, Victoria Australia 10 January 2026. Image: Wandong Fire Brigade CFA
Camera IconVictoria bushfires – Images from the Longwood fire, Victoria Australia 10 January 2026. Wandong Fire Brigade CFA Credit: Wandong Fire Department CFA/Wandong Fire Department CFA

Mr. Wiebusch said “disappointingly” spectators had moved into some areas devastated by the fire.

“We expect to see locals only if it is safe to be there, so please do not enter fire-affected areas,” he said.

Among those damaged by the fires is a family whose Victorian home was destroyed by fire and their beloved cat who was rescued by a police helicopter.

The trio, two women and a 92-year-old man, sought safety in a shipping container on their land, seeking shelter at their remote property in Caveat as the fire ripped through the area.

The family slept in their car Friday night.

Charred and melted remains are scattered near a burned property near Longwood, Australia.
Camera IconCharred and melted remains are scattered near a burned property near Longwood, Australia. Credit: Jesse Thompson/Getty Images

With no road access, police used a helicopter Saturday morning to take the group and their cat, Grisha, to Seymour.

One of the women, 82 years old, had her hair burned by the flames and was treated for burns on her hands.

Victoria Police Air Wing Tactical Flight Officer Brittany Smith described the aerial damage as heartbreaking.

“We are in no way encouraging people to seek refuge in shipping containers, but in this case all I can say is that this family is extremely lucky,” he said.

“It was good that we were able to get in and get them out. We were happy to be able to provide assistance when they needed us.”

A state of emergency was declared in 18 local government areas.

Victoria bushfires - Images from the Longwood fire, Victoria Australia 10 January 2026. Image: Wandong Fire Brigade CFA
Camera IconVictoria bushfires – Images from the Longwood fire, Victoria Australia 10 January 2026. Wandong Fire Brigade CFA Credit: Wandong Fire Department CFA/Wandong Fire Department CFA

There have been several emergency-level fires across the state, but firefighting efforts have been concentrated on a large blaze in central Victoria and another in the northeast, near the NSW border.

The fire that ripped through Harcourt, north-east of Castlemaine in the Central Highlands, damaged at least 50 structures, including homes and businesses.

Bonnie and Remy Sowman were speechless as they looked at the blackened ruins of their cafe, which held a special place in the Harcourt community.

The couple left their homes and workplaces on Friday, when conditions began to change.

Ms. Sowman described the day as a blur.

“We had a friend who posted some footage and it was bad where we lived. We thought our house was gone for most of the night,” he told AAP.

Although the Bureau of Meteorology has predicted that the weather will be milder on Sunday and the winds will ease but change direction, the danger is not over yet.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button