google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Former Liverpool winger Jordon Ibe charged over ‘use of fake prescriptions for sleep medication’

Former Liverpool winger Jordan Ibe is appearing in court for allegedly trying to buy sleeping pills with a fake prescription.

Ibe, 30, who also played for Derby County, Birmingham City and Bournemouth, is accused of twice using a fake prescription to obtain the insomnia drug Zolpidem.

The footballer allegedly used a fake prescription at a Hornsey Road pharmacy in north London on May 24, 2024, and returned four days later to buy more of the same medicine.

During the second visit, Ibe’s allegedly fraudulent prescription was seized by a suspicious pharmacy employee.

Ibe, who was transferred to Bulgarian first league team Lokomotiv Sofia last year, is accused of possessing or controlling an article for use in fraud.

He was expected to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Thursday afternoon to face an initial charge.

But District Judge Denis Brennan was told the footballer was “happily unaware” of the criminal case, which was ongoing until the early hours of the day, as he was accused in a letter sent to his family home in Southwark, south London, just before Christmas last year and shortly after he moved to Bulgaria to begin the next phase of his playing career.

Ibe was due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court on Thursday

Ibe was due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Jonathan Brady/PA)

“It was only today that my colleague heard that somehow we became aware that this matter was going to be listed,” Ibe’s lawyer Claire Reid told the court.

“Mr Ibe was fortunately unaware of this. He lives in Bulgaria, is a professional football player and is unlikely to leave his position.”

Although Ms Reid asked the court to postpone it for six months until the Bulgarian football season goes into summer break, she admitted to the judge that this was “a big request”.

The judge decided to postpone the first hearing for only four weeks, until February 5.

He added that Ibe could apply to appear via video link next time, but this would have to be accepted by the court and Bulgarian authorities.

Judge Brennan added: “The problem he faces is the risk that if he does not appear in court with four weeks’ notice, the court will issue an arrest warrant for him, which will turn into an extradition order and he will potentially be extradited from Bulgaria.”

Ibe made 78 appearances over four years at Bournemouth between 2016 and 2020. He spent the last two years playing non-league football before moving to the Bulgarian capital in November 2025.

Ibe is accused of possessing fraudulent drug prescriptions for use during or in connection with fraud on May 24 and May 28, 2024.

He did not make a defense to the accusation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button