google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Masked burglary crews terrorizing ritzy neighborhoods show ‘they’re doing their homework,’ veteran cop warns

A fast-moving theft spree is underway Los AngelesThieves targeted some of the city’s wealthiest neighborhoods last week and attacked several communities as police swarmed the area with patrols.

The latest incidents occurred Wednesday night in the San Fernando Valley; where burglars attacked homes in Studio City and Toluca Lake and targeted a commercial property in a separate burglary, prompting a police chase.

The violence escalated on Thursday night when a woman in her 70s was killed. drowned during home invasion in the Hollywood Hills, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. The suspects, identified as at least two masked men, escaped with money and jewelry and remain at large.

These break-ins are the latest in a pattern that began around April 10, with similar crimes reported in Sherman Oaks, Encino, North Hollywood and surrounding communities, with homes hit within minutes of each other in some cases.

Homeowners in Lush Areas Are Being Attacked by Burglars Settling on Luxury Homes for Smash and Grab Scores

Former LAPD investigator Moses Castillo said the scope and pace of crimes point to a broader shift in the way thieves operate.

Read on the Fox News App

“We used to think that upscale neighborhoods were crime-free… that’s not the case anymore,” Castillo told Fox News Digital. “You’re not safe anywhere anymore, especially in wealthy areas.”

“These criminals don’t look at zip codes, they look at opportunities.”

WATCH: Masked thugs strangle elderly woman in Hollywood Hills home invasion amid crime surge

Castillo said this pattern shows that many of these burglars are strategic, often researching homes and victims in advance.

“They’re doing their homework; they’re tracking patterns, they’re watching if people are home or out,” he said.

That preparation can start online, Castillo said.

“If you Post your valuables, lifestyle… you’re making yourself a target,” Castillo warned. “If you can find your information online, so can they.”

He added that some teams use surveillance and real-time communications to move quickly and avoid police detection.

Patterns of theft across multiple neighborhoods may reflect how suspects adapt when enforcement intensifies.

Tech-savvy thieves are exploiting deaths and online posts to hit homes as families mourn, expert says

“These crime waves will continue as long as the suspects are still out there,” Castillo said. “If an area gets too hot, they just move to the next neighborhood

This activity may help explain why communities in the Valley continue to see break-ins even as patrols increase.

For victims, the impact goes far beyond this stolen property.

“People call this place ‘home’ rape‘ – a complete violation of their home,” Castillo said. “It’s not just about what was taken. Someone has invaded your sacred space.”

He said many victims struggle to feel safe again after a break-in, while some choose to leave their homes altogether.

Castillo warned that the danger would increase if homeowners encountered suspects during the burglary.

“If you enter during a burglary, you may become a victim of violence,” Castillo said. “These crimes may increase” house raids, assaults, even kidnappings

He also described cases where suspects used trickery to get victims to open the door.

Exclusive Enclave Residents Demand Mayor Action Against Crime Surge

“They’ll do a trick… they’ll knock on the door, get you to open it, and then it’ll be over,” he said.

In response to the spike, the LAPD increased patrols, deployed air support and license plate readers, and expanded coordination between units.

Got a Tip?

“The safety of every Angeleno is my number one priority,” said L.A. Mayor Karen Bass.

(Getty Images)

Mayor Karen Bass said the city is taking a zero-tolerance approach.

Follow Us on X

“The safety of every Angeleno is my number one priority,” Bass said. “The city has zero tolerance for these recent thefts.”

But despite the increased presence, break-ins continued, making residents uneasy.

Get Breaking News by Email

Sanctions alone will not be enough to stop this madness, Castillo said.

“The police cannot do this alone, it will take the community,” he said. “If you see something, let me know, even if you’re not sure. This could be the tipping point that opens the case for good.”

Click for More News

As this craze spreads to multiple communities, Castillo said homeowners need to take extra precautions.

“Don’t rely solely on cameras or basic alarm systems,” he warned, adding that some thieves cut the power and put them in danger. “Be careful.”

Click Here to Download Fox News App

He also asked citizens to be careful about what they share with the public.

“Sometimes we become our own worst enemy,” Castillo said. “Whatever you find about yourself on the internet, they can find too.”

Original article source: Masked burglary crews terrorizing upmarket neighborhoods show they’ve ‘done their homework’, senior cop warns

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button