google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Germany’s ruling party backs kids social media curbs

Germany’s ruling conservatives have passed a motion banning social media use by under-14s and introducing stricter digital verification checks for teenagers, adding momentum to such restrictions in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

At a party conference in the city of Stuttgart, Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s Christian Democratic Union also called for fines for online platforms that do not implement these restrictions and the harmonization of age standards across the European Union.

“We call on the federal government to impose a 14-year age limit for the use of social networks and to meet the need for special protection in the digital field up to the age of 16,” said the motion adopted on Saturday.

A growing number of countries, including Spain, Denmark, Greece, France and the UK, are considering similar social media bans or restrictions on access to platforms such as TikTok or Instagram.

It follows the example of Australia, which last year became the first country to force platforms to cut off children’s access.

European countries are further increasing the pressure on social media companies and face the risk of a backlash from the United States.

President Donald Trump has threatened tariffs and sanctions if EU countries impose new technology taxes or online regulations affecting US firms.

Merz’s coalition partners, the Social Democrats, also supported social media restrictions on children.

Pressure from both sides in the coalition makes it increasingly likely that the federal government will press for restrictions.

However, under Germany’s federal system, regulation of media is a state-level responsibility, and states must negotiate with each other to agree on consistent rules across the country.

The ban could affect children like those at the Cardinal Frings Gymnasium in the city of Bonn; Many of these children were browsing around the schoolyard with their phones the day before.

13-year-old Moritz, who said he only watches YouTube, said, “I think it’s fair, but I think parents should decide whether to ban it or not, not the state.”

“This should be banned for children under 12, but I think from 12 onwards kids can already tell what is fake news and what is not.”

Classmate Emma, ​​13, uses Snapchat almost exclusively, but there is a time limit on her phone.

He said the ban “would be a little bit unusual because you’re used to posting photos in the morning before school or things my friends do (like scrolling through Instagram or TikTok for a while).”

12-year-old Ella scrolls through social media several times a day.

“So I have TikTok and Instagram too, but I find that they are all addictive and the more you scroll, the more you want to see.”

Teacher Till Franke said most children “will be shocked at first because of the daily use of social media.”

But eventually students will get used to it, he said, because “they will find other spaces where they can communicate with each other.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button