Jeffrey Epstein tried to build web of powerful ties across Middle East, documents show

In his correspondence, Bin Sulayem discussed sexual relationships with women he helped connect with Epstein. In an email dated November 9, 2007, Bin Sulayem said he told Epstein that he had met such a woman, whom he did not name, in New York and that he had not had sex with her.
“Yes, after several attempts over a few months, we managed to meet in New York,” she wrote, adding that there was a misunderstanding because “he wanted some WORK! whereas I just wanted some PUSSY!”
Dubai’s ruler also issued a decree on Friday appointing a new chairman for Dubai Ports, Customs and Free Zone Corporation, one of several roles held by Bin Sulayem.
Reuters was able to independently review only some of the Epstein files on Bin Sulayem and was unable to determine what specifically led to his departure from DP World, although sources said it was related to the files without providing further details.
Bin Sulayem did not respond to Reuters requests for comment on his departure. DP World declined to comment.
COOKING TOGETHER
In an email exchange, Epstein described Bin Sulayem as funny, trustworthy and a foodie. Epstein said that Bin Sulayem, a Muslim, did not drink alcohol and prayed five times a day.
An undated photo included in an email and available in the public domain shows Epstein cooking with Bin Sulayem and the two appearing relaxed together. The full name of the person Epstein sent was not specified. Bin Sulayem has not publicly commented on the emails regarding his description of Epstein or his relationship with him.
The presence of his name on file is not evidence of criminal activity. But Bin Sulayem faces new questions from some of DP World’s financial backers about his past interactions after members of the US Congress said his name appeared in files released by the US Department of Justice (DOJ).
Bin Sulayem has not publicly responded to these concerns. The UK development finance institution, British International Investment and Canada’s second-largest pension fund said last week they would suspend all new investments with DP World due to Bin Sulayem’s alleged ties to Epstein.
“We were shocked by the allegations that emerged regarding Epstein”
“Files related to Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem,” the BII spokesman said, without specifying which allegations he was referring to. “In light of the allegations, we will not make new investments with DP World until the necessary actions are taken by the company.”
Canadian pension fund La Caisse said it would “pause the distribution of additional capital to the company” until DP World clarifies the situation and takes the “necessary measures.”
In a statement following Friday’s leadership changes at DP World, BII welcomed DP World’s decision and said it looked forward to continuing “our partnership to advance the development of key trading ports in Africa.” La Caisse said that “the company has taken appropriate measures” and “will move quickly with DP World’s new leadership to continue our partnership on port projects around the world.”
Bin Sulayem did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters to comment on the actions taken by BII and La Caisse. DP World declined comment.
NETWORK
Large amounts of documents, including text messages and emails, released by the Justice Department show that the Middle East was no exception to Epstein’s efforts to use his wealth to build relationships with leading figures in politics, finance, academia and business around the world.
Reuters was unable to determine how successful Epstein was in his effort to influence his contacts in the Middle East and whether his advice was heeded. DOJ documents reviewed by Reuters show that Epstein tried to advise Qatari business leaders and political figures during the 2017-21 blockade of Qatar by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt on accusations that Doha had failed to curb relations with Iran and supported terrorism, which Qatar denied.
Epstein, who met with Sheikh Jabor Yousuf Jassim Al Thani, a Qatari businessman and ruling family member, urged Qatar to “stop kicking and arguing… let the heat cool down a bit.” He said: “The current Qatar team is very weak” and “FM is not experienced and it shows.”
Qatar’s foreign minister at the time was Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, who currently serves as both foreign minister and prime minister. Sheikh Mohammed has not publicly commented on Epstein’s portrayal of him. Qatar’s International Media Office, which handles media requests for the prime minister, declined to comment when asked about the swap.
There was no response to Reuters’ emailed request for comment to three companies in Qatar where Sheikh Jabor is listed as chairman, or to a text message sent to a person who works in Sheikh Jabor’s office, according to filings released by the Justice Department. Epstein urged Doha to establish links with Israel to curry favor with Donald Trump, then in his first term as US president. He suggested that the Gulf state either move towards recognizing Israel or donate $1 billion to a fund for victims of terrorism. Ultimately, Qatar remained true to its independent course. Countries that imposed the blockade in 2021 re-established ties with Doha, and ties between the Trump administration and Qatar are now strong.
DISCUSSION OF SAUDI ARAMCO’S PREPARATION
Epstein discussed Saudi Aramco’s initial public offering in dozens of emails. In a conversation with a person named Aziza Alahmadi on September 10, 2016, which was also transcribed by former Norwegian diplomat Terje Roed-Larson, Epstein warned that going public with Aramco could subject Saudi Arabia to lawsuits and asset seizures. Saudi Aramco declined to comment on these emails.
Alahmadi could not be reached for comment, and Reuters was unable to determine his role, if any, in Epstein’s activities.
In an email dated October 16, 2017, also sent to Alahmadi, Epstein suggested selling China an option to buy $100 billion in shares of Aramco rather than a traditional IPO, saying it would provide liquidity while limiting exposure to public markets.
Saudi Aramco declined to comment to Reuters about the emails. Roed-Larsen did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment through his attorney.
According to documents released by the Department of Justice, Epstein’s reach also extended to Egypt. Some emails show that a request from one of Hosni Mubarak’s family members – the wife of his son Gamal Mubarak – was forwarded to Epstein, who asked for help in 2011 following the former president’s ouster and subsequent legal troubles. They did not say what kind of help was sought, and Reuters was unable to determine whether Epstein had tried to intercede on behalf of the family.
Gamal Mubarak’s lawyer, Lionel Halperin, told Reuters via email that no member of the Mubarak family knew Epstein or sought or received help from any source, directly or indirectly.
He said Roed-Larsen and others tried to reach Gamal Mubarak in 2011 to better understand the situation in Egypt and the Mubarak family. Since Gamal Mubarak was in prison at the time under investigation, he asked his wife, Khadiga El Gammal, to send “messages of appreciation” to those who reached out to him and his family.
Halperin said Roed-Larsen was sent “several emails” in this regard. “Gamal Mubarak has no explanation for why some of these types of emails were forwarded to Mr. Epstein’s email account at that time, and he does not know the context,” Halperin said.



