google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

London to get £36m boost in homelessness funding

Getty Images A person wrapped in a purple blanket lies on the pavement, only his boots visible, as someone passes in the foreground.Getty Images

The majority of the funding will be spent on preventing sleep disorders

Councils in London are set to receive £36.5 million in funding to help tackle homelessness this winter.

One in 50 Londoners are homeless and a record number of children are in temporary accommodation, according to London Councils.

The money will target families rough sleeping and families facing homelessness, the Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government (DHCLG).

Claire Holland, chief executive of London Councils, said the funding was “critical” to help solve “the homelessness crisis in London”.

The capital will receive the largest share of the £84 million distributed to councils in England.

Of the £36.5 million, £28.4 million will be allocated to measures to prevent sleep disorders, £7.1 million to help families with children in temporary accommodation, and £960,000 to drug and alcohol treatment for people who are rough sleepers or at risk of homelessness.

Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan welcomed the investment and said it would “give us a boost”. Rough Sleep Action Plan and work with London Councils to prevent people from becoming homeless.”

“I’ve always been clear that no one should have to sleep rough on our streets,” he said.

“I will continue to work closely with the government and partners to ensure those who need it most receive the support they deserve.”

Homelessness charity Crisis said the funding was “very welcome” ahead of winter but called for a longer-term strategy.

Matt Downie, the company’s chief executive, said: “More people will be at risk of sleeping on cold streets and will need support urgently.

“More parents will be working out how they can help their children do their homework in cramped and drafty temporary accommodation.”

A DHCLG spokesman said the funding increase builds on existing plans, such as the £950 million fund to increase the supply of “good temporary accommodation”.

‘Too high for too long’

Investment comes as data Published by Museum of Homelessness A record number of people will die while homeless in England in 2024, a report showed on Wednesday.

There have been more than 1,100 deaths in England, up 16% on the previous year.

London had the highest total number of deaths at 326, an increase of 16.

Homelessness Minister Alison McGovern said homelessness in the UK had been “too high for too long” and the funding would help address the “crisis of the last decade”.

“This needs to end and we are taking action in London to ensure every corner of the country feels our Plan for Change as we continue to build more homes and help those in need to put a roof over their heads,” he added.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button