China warns UK of ‘consequences’ over mega-embassy delays

China has warned Britain of “consequences” amid growing row over the delay of its application to build a mega embassy in London.
This comes after the government confirmed for the second time that it had postponed its decision on the controversial site until December 10.
On Friday, Beijing’s foreign ministry said the delay was “completely contrary to the UK’s commitments and previous statements on improving China-UK relations”.
Downing Street said it “does not recognize any assertion of commitment or assurance”, adding that the planning process was independent of ministers.
Asked about the latest delay on Friday, Beijing’s foreign ministry accused Britain of “constantly complicating and politicizing the issue”.
Spokesperson Lin Jian said that Britain “has repeatedly postponed the approval of the project, citing various excuses, and associated the project with other issues.”
“This is completely contrary to the UK’s commitments and previous statements on improving China-UK relations,” he added.
“We once again call on the UK to fulfill its obligations and fulfill its commitments, otherwise the consequences will be borne by the UK.”
Downing Street responded to Mr Jian’s comments by saying: “We do not accept any assurance claims and I cannot explain the statement they have made.”
The Prime Minister’s official spokesman added: “Protecting the UK’s national security is our first duty.
“In terms of the planning process, as we noted yesterday, this is an independent decision from the rest of the government.
“It would therefore be inappropriate for me to comment further on the proceedings before MHCLG (Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government) ministers.”
China bought the proposed new embassy site at the Royal Mint Court near the Tower of London for £255 million in 2018. The proposed 20,000 square meter complex would be the largest embassy in Europe if it goes ahead.
The pending decision on whether to approve the new embassy has been closely scrutinized due to concerns about the security implications of the plan, including the building’s location, size and design.
Some opponents have concerns that the site could allow China to infiltrate Britain’s financial system by accessing nearby fibre-optic cables carrying sensitive data belonging to firms in the City of London.
Beijing’s application for an embassy was first rejected by Tower Hamlets Council in 2022 over safety and security concerns.
But it was taken over by the government last year after China reapplied, a month after Labor came to power.
Sir Keir Starmer said last year that Chinese President Xi Jinping raised the embassy issue in the leaders’ first phone call in August.
Speaking in November, the prime minister told the Chinese leader that “when we spoke on the phone, you upgraded the Chinese embassy building and since then we have taken action by seeking this application.”
“We must now follow the legal process and timeline,” Sir Keir added.
Conservatives and Liberal Democrats called on the government to withdraw China’s application.




