‘National crisis’: Leaders back Bondi royal commission

Australian business leaders and public figures have joined forces to call for a Commonwealth royal commission following the Bondi Beach terror attack.
At least 120 leaders signed the open letter, including former Reserve Bank of Australia governors Philip Lowe and Glenn Stevens, billionaire James Packer, former Telstra chief executive David Thodey, as well as sports figures, politicians and university presidents.
The Prime Minister has so far resisted pressure from families of Bondi Beach massacre victims, Jewish groups and lawyers to establish a national royal commission into the wake of the December 14 attack.
The Labor government instead launched a review into the response of intelligence and law enforcement, led by former ASIO boss Dennis Richardson.
The open letter, published by multiple media outlets on Friday, says practical solutions are needed to restore social cohesion and protect the safety of all Australians.
The statement said, “This is a national crisis and requires a national response. This goes beyond politics, it is about the future of our country.”
“As business leaders and proud Australians committed to upholding our values of tolerance and mutual respect, we recognize the need for clear answers as to how the Bondi massacre could have occurred.”
The signatories are calling for an end to the “unprecedented harassment, intimidation and violence” against Australia’s Jewish community since October 7, when Hamas invaded southern Israel, killing more than 1,000 people and taking 251 hostage.
The attack sparked a huge reaction from Israel, which began bombing Gaza in pursuit of Hamas, which Australia defines as a terrorist organization and has killed thousands of Palestinians.
Meanwhile, Australia’s top Catholics joined calls for a wider investigation into antisemitism in a separate letter published on Friday.
Archbishop of Perth Timothy Costelloe said the Richardson review was an important step to prevent a repeat of the Bondi attack but there was a need to confront and dismantle the deeper roots of antisemitism in Australia.

“Only by shining a light into the dark corners of our society can we hope to unmask antisemitism that otherwise goes unseen, unacknowledged and unaddressed,” the president of the Australian Conference of Catholic Bishops said.
“There is therefore a need, alongside the Richardson Review, for a wider national inquiry with adequate authority and resources that can investigate the deeper issues at the heart of antisemitism.”
The federal government has said the NSW government will establish a state-based royal commission that will collaborate with federal agencies.
Mr Albanese remained unchanged on Thursday after Human Rights Commissioner Lorraine Finlay joined the debate arguing that a national investigation was “essential” and said he was entitled to his own opinion.

The prime minister was pressed on the name after revealing that he had been advised by “real experts” to conduct a ministerial review.
He stated that he was one of the experts of all security officials, as well as Mr. Richardson.
Mr Albanese also applauded Australians’ response to the Bondi Beach shootings by two men that left 15 people dead and more than 40 injured.
Nearly a million people gathered around the Sydney Harbor waterfront on New Year’s Eve and lit mobile phones to remember those who died.

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.


