NGT Orders joint probe into quarry impact on Tata Cancer Hospital due to illegal mining

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has ordered a joint inquiry into the alleged illegal quarrying and stone crushing operations behind the Tata Cancer Hospital (ACTREC) at Kharghar in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, and submit the report within a month.
Justice Dinesh Kumar Singh and Expert Member Dr. The delegation, comprising Sujit Kumar Bajpayee, was directed to conduct the survey and ascertain the extent of excavation and possible damage to the premier cancer treatment and research facility.
“The Committee is directed to visit the site in question and submit a report on whether any illegal mining/crushing activity is/has been done in the past, whether the said activity is/has been done illegally without permission, the period during which the said activity was carried out, the amount mined, etc., and to ascertain the damage caused to the Cancer Hospital in question and suggest remedial measures. It will also be ascertained what impact the ongoing works will have on the Cancer Hospital. The court has ruled that the destructive activity in the said area is likely to be done/done illegally on the Cancer Hospital.” He stated that the committee will submit its report within a month.
The NGT was hearing two matters on February 12, a petition filed by NatConnect Foundation director BN Kumar and a suo motu case based on media reports. The court directed the formation of a Joint Committee comprising members from the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB), District Collector, Raigad, Directorate of Geology and Mining Department, State of Maharashtra and Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC), with MPCB as the nodal point for coordination and logistical support. Detailed order uploaded on February 17.
Green groups and local residents, including the Kharghar Hill and Wetlands Forum, have expressed serious concerns about the proximity of quarrying operations to a critical health institution. They suggest that “immunocompromised cancer patients are particularly vulnerable to airborne dust, vibration, and other environmental degradation from mining and crushing activities.” NatConnect director BN Kumar’s lawyer stated that serious damage was caused to the hospital structure due to prolonged explosion and vibration. It was also pointed out that although the hospital was a party to the hearing, no one came to the hearing on behalf of the hospital.
In an affidavit filed before the court, the District Collector of Raigad, stating that quarrying activity was allowed only till the financial year 2020-21 and the permission was not extended further, admitted that six crushing machines were operational at the site and these units had Work Permit from MPCB along with a No Objection Certificate issued by the Gram Panchayat of Owe earlier.
MPCB informed that it has given Approval for Operation of stone crushing units subject to prescribed terms and conditions. It was also noted that, according to the affidavit, proposed instructions had been issued to some crusher units under the Water and Air Acts due to non-compliances, indicating regulatory concerns regarding pollution control measures.
The court directed the publication of notices and listed the matter for further consideration on April 20.
It was published – 19 February 2026 03:50 IST



