NSW Police response to Isaac Herzog protest leaves mounting pressure on Chris Minns
NSW Labor faithful are warning there will be increasing pressure on the prime minister to justify his approach to the protests as branches pass motions condemning alleged police brutality at last week’s pro-Palestinian rally ahead of the party’s mid-year state conference.
At least eight Labor Party branches have passed resolutions calling for a review or investigation into the events of the rally, in which 10 people were charged over a visit to Israeli President Isaac Herzog; the other two branches passed a motion thanking the four rebel lawmakers who participated in the City Hall protest.
Responding to a constituent’s concerns about last Monday’s events, former transport minister Jo Haylen wrote that she was horrified by the “confrontational scenes” and vowed to continue fighting for the right to peacefully protest.
“I have proudly participated in many actions for social justice and peace, including the March for Humanity on the Harbor Bridge. I intend to continue doing so, and I want all members of our community to be able to come together peacefully as well,” he wrote.
When contacted by reporterHaylen said she was contacted by some of her constituents, some of whom attended the rally expecting a peaceful demonstration and were shocked by what happened.
“This was an incredibly difficult situation and it is truly disappointing that despite numerous attempts by NSW Police to organize a march in Hyde Park, the protest organizers did not help facilitate a peaceful protest,” he said.
The state government and police faced backlash from members of the Muslim community who were angered by images showing protesters bowing in prayer being physically removed by police, despite a senior officer assuring them that prayers could continue.
The City and Haymarket branch voted to express their “disgust” at the police response to the rally and wrote to the prime minister calling for an independent investigation.
“We are disappointed that this is a Labor government and it is a government that we are trying to elect. [that] He has presided over the appalling erosion of civil liberties in NSW,” branch secretary Alexis Wheatley said.
“We deeply regret that it was the Labor government that enabled the violence we saw against protesters at City Hall… it was more reminiscent of Minneapolis and the streets of Trump’s America than a street protest in our democracy.”
Enmore-Camdenville, Dungog, Harris Park and Parramatta branches have all passed motions calling on the Minns government to repeal protest laws, including those passed by parliament in the wake of the Bondi massacre that allow the NSW Police commissioner to restrict protest marches following a terror attack.
The Parramatta branch called for commitment from Labor representatives to defend freedom of expression “regardless of political sensitivities”.
The left-leaning Auburn-Lidcombe branch went so far as to call for Minns and police minister Yasmin Catley to resign for, among other things, “blaming protesters” for the violence and failing to condemn alleged police brutality.
The Padstow and King’s Cross branches passed motions thanking and supporting four Labor MPs – Stephen Lawrence, Sarah Kaine, Cameron Murphy and Anthony D’Adam – who attended the rally and spoke in favor of an independent inquiry.
The NSW Labor Party state conference will be held in July, the last before the state election next March, and while Palestine and Israel have always been divisive issues for the party, some senior figures expect rank-and-file members to be particularly angry about anti-protest laws.
Peter Moss, co-convener of Labor Friends of Palestine, said: “This is a strong response from every corner of the Labor Party, united by anger at the gross betrayal of Labor values by the Prime Minister.”
Minns continues to staunchly defend police actions and the state’s protest laws despite growing concerns from his own lawmakers.
Senior minister Jihad Dib, the only Muslim MP in the cabinet, said in a social media post last week that the aggressive disruption of evening prayers at a protest by NSW Police officers “should never have happened”. Minns, a close friend of Dib, said he disagreed with the minister’s post.
Beginning the featuring a roundup of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

