google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Pro-Palestine protesters chanting ‘globalise the intifada’ in the UK face arrest, police confirm

The heads of Greater Manchester and the Metropolitan police announced that protesters chanting “Globalize the intifada” would be arrested.

In a statement made by Manchester Chief Constable Sir Stephen Watson and Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley, it was stated that this was due to “a change of context” following the terrorist attack on a Jewish festival in Sydney.

The surviving suspect, 24-year-old Naveed Akram, is accused of 15 counts of murder and terrorist attacks following the incident in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday.

Akram and his father, Sajid, 50, are accused of opening fire on a crowd of more than 1,000 people during Hanukkah celebrations in the Archer Park area of ​​Bondi Beach on Sunday evening.

The police force’s announcement comes after chief rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis previously said it should make clear that slogans such as “globalise the intifada” were “illegal”. The Met and Greater Manchester police said they would “act decisively and make arrests”, adding that the measures were designed to “deter intimidation”.

Sir Mark and Sir Stephen said in a joint statement: “Lyrics and chants, particularly those used in protests, matter and have real-world consequences. We have been consistently informed by the CPS that most expressions that cause fear in Jewish communities do not meet the threshold for prosecution. Now, in the context of the growing threat, we will recalibrate to be more assertive.”

“We know that communities are concerned about banners and slogans such as ‘globalise the intifada’ and that those using it in future protests or in a targeted manner should wait for the Met and GMP to take action.

“There have been incidents of violence, the context has changed, words have meaning and consequences. We will act decisively and make arrests.

“Frontline staff will be briefed on this enhanced approach. We will also use powers under the Public Order Act, including conditions in London synagogues, during services.”

The announcement was welcomed by the charity Community Security Trust (CST), which provides protection for Jewish people in Britain.

A spokesman said: “The recent terrorist attacks in Bondi and Heaton Park were disgusting and left Jewish communities fearful and vulnerable. These attacks come amid a deeply worrying rise in antisemitism that is creating fear and uncertainty for Jewish people across the country.”

“CST has been calling for tougher action against hateful and violent slogans and banners at protests for years, and this announcement comes too soon. It is unacceptable to allow calls for a global “intifada” on our streets, especially given the wave of terror against Jews around the world.”

“We welcome the news that this behavior will now be met with arrests. This is a necessary and important first step in turning back the tide of violent incitement and we hope that police and the CPS across the country will follow suit.”

“CST will continue to work closely with the police and our partners to ensure the protection of Jewish life in this country.”

Sajid Akram was shot dead by police at the scene of the attack in Sydney, and two police officers were also shot non-fatally during an exchange of gunfire. Naveed Akram remains under armed guard in the hospital.

In addition to the murders, he is also accused of 40 crimes, such as injuring/causing grievous bodily harm to a person with the intent to murder, using a firearm with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, publicly displaying the symbol of a banned terrorist organization, and placing explosives in/near a building with the intent to cause harm.

This is breaking news, more to come…

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button