Rapper DigDat jailed for life after drive-by shooting in west London

Rapper DigDat, whose real name is Nathan Tokosi, was sentenced to life in prison for his role in a drive-by shooting that left a rival artist seriously injured.
Daniel Offei-Ntow, 27, who played the role of Lugavelz, was shot six times in the head, mouth and body while sitting in his car in Notting Hill, west London, in the early hours of November 20, 2023.
Tokosi, 26, of Deptford, south-east London, was found guilty of attempted murder and firearms offenses in two trials last year.
He must serve at least 24 years behind bars.
The court was told Mr Offei-Ntow had since died, but it was accepted that this was not linked to the shooting, with no third party involvement.
The court also heard Tokosi had eight previous convictions for 13 offences, including violent acts such as punching a girl and assaulting a boy on separate occasions, from the age of 11.
At the age of 13, the defendant was convicted of attempted murder for stabbing the victim in the ribcage during a fight and was sentenced to seven years in juvenile detention and three years on extended licence.
In mitigation, the court was told Tokosi was a “laid back” young man who was caught up in the success of his music career and the “fast and chaotic” lifestyle that came with it.
Shannon Revel, defending, said: “He described how his job as a rapper had effectively become an existence rather than something from which he could take a break.”
He said “such a rapid rise to success” did not give Tokosi any real time to think.
He added that Tokosi, who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 11, “struggled” with his behavior at school.
Sentencing at the Old Bailey, Judge Sarah Munro KC said she had no doubt he was a dangerous offender.
Tokosi, whose single Air Force peaked at number 20 in the UK singles chart in 2018, was supported by his family in court.
He made a phone call to the public gallery, where cries could be heard as he was being carried downstairs.
Earlier, prosecutor Kate Bex KC said the defendant was one of at least two people in the stolen Audi that pulled up next to Mr Offei-Ntow’s vehicle.
Ms Bex said at least six shots were fired through the rear passenger window, hitting Mr Offei-Ntow in the head, mouth and body and he was “lucky he didn’t die”.
Firearms officers immediately arrived on scene and found the victim’s Mitsubishi Outlander riddled with bullet holes and the interior covered in blood.
Officers followed a blood trail and found Mr Offei-Ntow returning to his flat and sitting on a sofa “in shock and seriously injured”, the court heard.
Police dogs found a latex glove and a black bag containing a firearm and three bullets near where the Audi was abandoned.
Further inquests revealed that Tokosi had borrowed a BMW to travel from his father’s home in Deptford, south-east London, to Notting Hill for two consecutive nights that weekend, the jury heard.
Ms Bex said it was clear Tokosi was involved in the attack and there was “no innocent explanation” for the BMW and Audi being in the same location in west London.
Investigators found DNA belonging to Tokosi and artist Kamal Benjamin, also known as Wesson, in the Audi used in the attack.
But further evidence, including Mr Benjamin’s Instagram posts from Dubai, showed he had left the UK days earlier.
Mr. Benjamin posted a video on Instagram of Lil Durk performing in Dubai four days before the shooting.
Another post the following month showed him at a nightclub with rapper 50 Cent, who was performing in Dubai on December 21, 2023.
In the attempted murder case last February, Tokosi was also found guilty of possession of a self-loading pistol and ammunition with intent to endanger life and possession of prohibited firearms and ammunition.
Following his second Old Bailey trial in November, Tokosi was also found guilty of possession of a firearm and ammunition on 4 February 2024.
Helen Shaw, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “This was an utterly mindless attack that nearly cost a life.
“That night, Nathan Tokosi clearly intended to kill his victim by shooting him in the head at close range; CCTV revealed Tokosi had driven around the area in a stolen Audi in the days and hours before the shooting.
“The Crown Prosecution Service was determined to ensure that Tokosi was tried for the full extent of his crime and we hope that today’s sentence will offer some closure to the victim’s family.”
Detective Inspector Chris Shepherd, of the Mid-South District Command Unit, said: “Tokosi’s actions were pre-planned, reckless and malicious. “He lied at the hearing, claiming he had nothing to do with the attack.
“The police investigation to bring Tokosi to court reflects our intolerant approach to gang violence on London’s streets.
“I would like to thank the investigation team for their work in bringing Tokosi to justice, as well as the officers and medical staff who treated the victim after the attack.”
Detective Inspector Chris Shepherd, of Scotland Yard, said: “Tokosi’s actions were premeditated, reckless and malicious. “He lied at the hearing, claiming he had nothing to do with the attack.
“The police investigation to bring Tokosi to court reflects our intolerant approach to gang violence on London’s streets.
“I would like to thank the investigation team for their work in bringing Tokosi to justice, as well as the officers and medical staff who treated the victim after the attack.”




