google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Scores of business leaders, public figures unite to urge federal royal commission

Albanese said on Thursday that people were entitled to their own views but “we have made our position clear”.

Alex Vynokur, founder of Betashares.Credit: Renee Nowytarger

Also joining the call is Alex Vynokur, founder and chief executive of Betashares Financial Group, who said Australia provided security and opportunity to his family after emigrating from Ukraine in 1994.

“Our country has done so much for me, and I have always considered myself lucky to feel at home here and have always tried to do my best to give back and make a positive contribution,” said Vynokur, who helped gather the signatories.

“As a Jewish family who survived pogroms, persecution and ghettos, we came to Australia seeking safety, a just existence and the opportunity to build a life. We arrived with little, but from the moment we set foot in Sydney I was welcomed.”

Vynokur said conditions had worsened sharply since Hamas’ attacks on Israel two years ago.

“I believe now is the time for our government to show real leadership and take immediate, concrete action to identify the circumstances that led to the Bondi terrorist attack, unite society and make Australia safe for all Australians,” he said.

Prominent company director Paula Dwyer said this was not a political issue but one of deep national importance.

“The reasons behind the murder of 15 innocent people at a Jewish celebration, and indeed the increasing antisemitism across Australia, deserve an independent public inquiry at the highest level,” he said.

Former Commonwealth director of prosecutions Michael Rozenes said Albanese could not look away and “be blinded” by the antisemitism emerging in Australia.

“As an immigrant to whom Australia was chosen as a safe haven after surviving the Holocaust, we understand the danger of radicalism… Australians need to have full information about the failures at Bondi,” he said. “This is not just an antisemitic problem, it is a much wider problem for all Australians.”

Loading

On New Year’s Eve, Australia’s human rights commissioner became the first official appointed by the current government to publicly support demands for the highest form of federal investigation. In a statement posted on LinkedIn, Lorraine Finlay said current investigations were inadequate to address the underlying causes of the violence.

Bondi wrote that the terrorist attack was motivated by antisemitism.

“Confronting this head-on must be a national priority. A federal royal commission is vital to fully understand what happened and ensure it never happens again.”

Former army chief Peter Leahy joined other national security experts on Thursday, including former Defense Force chief and governor-general Peter Cosgrove; former ASIS chief and Ministry of Defense secretary Nick Warner; former Australian Federal Police commissioner Mick Keelty; and former Home Office secretary Mike Pezzullo backed a royal commission.

Asked at a press conference on the NSW Central Coast that experts had advised the federal government not to set up a royal commission, Albanese first singled out former ASIO boss Dennis Richardson, who would lead a swift government inquiry into intelligence failures before the terror attack, and then said: “I’ve talked about the heads of all the authorities, the people who are advising the government.”

Loading

Asked whether the heads of ASIO, ASIS and the Australian Federal Police had warned against a royal commission, the prime minister said he meant “we are taking advice from all our agencies and all the experts”.

KC Robert Richter, one of Australia’s most prominent criminal defense lawyers, emerged earlier this week as the most vocal opponent of the Commonwealth-led royal commission.

“The tragedy in Bondi was the result of ASIO not charging the man for traveling overseas or anything like that, but laying charges against his father,” Richter said. “This was a complete fraud by a combination of ASIO, federal police, NSW Police and border control. We don’t need a royal commission for this.”

Briefed by intelligence and security bosses in Canberra on Thursday, Liberal leader Sussan Ley said Albanese’s claim that he was advised by “genuine experts” against setting up a royal commission was not proven.

“Australians see their prime minister running away,” he said. “What is Anthony Albanese hiding?”

The Australian Catholic Bishops’ Conference also backed a broader, national inquiry, without using the term royal commission.

Timothy Costelloe, Archbishop of Perth and chairman of the conference, said it was important to confront antisemitism in the “dark corners of our society”, including politics, business, academia, the media and religious and cultural institutions in Australia.

“That is why, alongside the Richardson review, there is a need for a wider, national inquiry with adequate authority and resources that can investigate the deeper issues at the heart of antisemitism,” he said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button