google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Canada

Sentence of 10 years in closed custody | 15-year-old Ontario woman carried out ‘contract murder’ on 16-year-old

A 15-year-old Ontario girl who came to Quebec to carry out a “murder contract” on another teenager was sentenced to 10 years in closed custody. She is already serving such a sentence for another murder. The judge denounced on Tuesday the scourge of young people recruited by criminals.

Published at

“In Quebec, adolescents are encouraged to commit serious crimes by adults in criminal networks. They take advantage of their vulnerability, their immaturity, their malleability, and the belief that juvenile justice entails fewer consequences,” said Judge Hugo Rousse on Tuesday at the Salaberry-de-Valleyfield courthouse.

The young killer, now 17 years old, cannot be identified because she is a minor. She pleaded guilty to one count of first degree murder and complicity after the fact in the Youth Division of the Court of Quebec. The Crown did not ask that she be tried as an adult because of her age and low intelligence.

PHOTO CHARLES WILLIAM PELLETIER, ARCHIVES SPECIAL COLLABORATION

Judge Hugo Rousse, in 2023, when he was a Crown prosecutor.

In April 2023, a 16-year-old teenager (whose identity is protected) was murdered by a gunshot to the head in a field in Saint-Zotique, in Montérégie. The 15-year-old Ontario girl played a “significant” role in this murder, committed with an accomplice. However, there is no direct evidence that she opened fire.

“This was not a spontaneous act of violence. The murder [de l’adolescent de 16 ans] was committed in the context of a criminal enterprise. A contract for murder. The evidence establishes premeditation and advanced coordination between several participants, as well as the use of a firearm,” described Judge Rousse.

A few days later, the 15-year-old Ontarian participated in the murder of an 18-year-old Quebecer, killed in the suburbs of Toronto. In Ontario, she received the same sentence as in this case, i.e. 10 years in closed custody. This is the maximum sentence for a teenager.

The Press wrote in 2024 that the two victims were long-time friends. They had been around the underworld for several years and were allegedly involved in fraud and the sale of drugs. The oldest was associated with the 68, a street gang in Pierrefonds.

A disturbing video was shared on social networks in 2023. We could see one of the victims, the 16-year-old teenager, presenting himself as an informer and begging his interlocutor, apologizing for being a “snitch” [délateur].

A “very complex” profile

In a letter read to the court at the last hearing, the mother of the 16-year-old victim described her son as a “loving and vibrant” young man.

“Since the death of her son, his mother has spoken of her sleepless nights and her suffering. The Court recognizes the deep pain experienced by the victim’s family. Their loss is irreversible,” said Judge Rousse.

The young murderer presents a “very complex” psychological profile. She has an antisocial personality, grandiose ideas, great impulsivity and problems managing emotions.

Thus, his rehabilitation promises to be difficult, but not impossible. She has also made significant progress since her detention, the judge emphasized.

The Crown prosecutor, Me Marie-Laurence Hébert-Trudeau and the defense lawyer, Me Morgane Laloum, jointly suggested a sentence of 10 years in closed custody. The judge approved it, because this sentence is neither unreasonable nor contrary to the public interest.

The young murderer will remain detained for five years and five months. She will be able to serve the remainder of her sentence in the community, under conditions.

Related Articles

Back to top button