Shooter killed ex-wife and son in horror ice rink attack horror | US | News

The attacker’s ex-wife and son died in the attack at the ice rink in Rhode Island. (Image: Facebook)
According to authorities, a man opened fire during a school hockey match at a US ice rink, killing his ex-wife and one of his sons.
The attack took place in Rhode Island on Monday, February 17.
Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves confirmed the victims were the shooter’s ex-wife Rhonda Dorgan and her adult son Aidan Dorgan.
Three other people were injured, including the parents of the attacker’s ex-wife and a family friend. Police reported that the attacker died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The attacker was identified as Robert Dorgan, also known as Roberta Esposito.
Read more: Former rugby star fights for life after shooting in his front garden
Read more: Suspected ice rink attacker leaves two dead and three in critical condition
The police chief said there was “no indication” there would be violence at the ice rink in Pawtucket Monday afternoon, adding that Dorgan had previously attended several hockey games without incident.
It is thought that Dorgan did not have any conflict with his relatives before the shooting.
Goncalves said Monday that an unnamed “good Samaritan” intervened and “quickly ended” the attack.
As of Monday evening, investigators had interviewed nearly 100 witnesses to try to piece together what happened at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket.
At least three bystanders were able to subdue Dorgan but still had access to a second firearm, Goncalves said Tuesday. Dorgan later died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The match was broadcast live and videos of players struggling on the ice as gunshots were heard were shared on social media.
Players dive for cover and those on the ice frantically scramble for the exits as fans flee their seats. Live streamer LiveBarn warned people not to share the video.
Read more: Police rushed to ‘active shooter’ incident and said suspect was ‘down there’
Read more: Heartbreaking photos of 12-year-olds killed in school attack
Dorgan was an employee of General Dynamics Bath Iron Works, a shipbuilding facility in Bath, Maine, that contracts with the U.S. Navy, shipyard spokesman David Hench said Tuesday.
Hench did not provide further information about Dorgan’s job title or how long he worked at the shipyard.
One of his colleagues, Destiny Mackenzie, said Dorgan used the women’s toilet and the pair often talked about the family. Dorgan was often called Roberta at work, and Mackenzie added that they were moody, often engaging in screaming matches with colleagues.
Mackenzie recalled that his hockey-playing son often came up in conversation, but his ex-wife never came up.
“What was supposed to be some seniors’ only chance at the playoffs is now ruined,” he wrote in a message to The Associated Press. “These are the images that these children and families now have to live through. I extend my condolences to those families.”
“The reality of our gun laws needs a major re-evaluation, and unfortunately guns are finding their way into the hands of such sick individuals.”
Another co-worker claimed that Dorgan appeared divided on the issue of transgender acceptance, one moment proud to transition, the next moment embarrassed.
The co-worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of workplace retaliation, said they were aware Dorgan owned guns but were not sure how many guns he had.

Three people died after the clash (Image: Getty)
Dorgan had a brief stint in the Marine Corps and enlisted on April 26, 1988, according to military records provided by the service. Less than three months later, on July 13, he left the military with the lowest military rank.
Maj. Jacoby Getty, a Marine Corps spokesman, told The Associated Press that the rapid discharge showed “the nature of the service was incompatible with the expectations and standards of the Marine Corps.” Getty did not provide further details.
Michael Steven, one of the spectators, said that crying parents tried to carry their children out of the arena, while young people were taken out on stretchers.
“This happens all too often in our nation,” Steven told reporters.
The shooting took place nearly two months after the horrific shooting at Brown University that left two students dead and nine others injured.
“Our state is in mourning again,” Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee said in a statement. “As a governor, a parent and a former coach, my heart breaks for the victims, families, students and everyone affected by the devastating shooting at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket.”




