google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Supreme Court ruling against Trump’s tariffs leaves Mexico in cautious wait-and-see mode

Mexican Economy Minister Marcelo Ebrard appealed for “common sense” following Friday’s U.S. Supreme Court decision invalidating part of President Trump’s sweeping tariff regime.

“We need to see where this goes,” Ebrard told reporters. “We need to see what precautions will be taken” [Washington] It will be necessary to understand how it will affect our country. “

Amid widespread concerns about tariffs on Mexico, the United States’ largest trading partner with nearly $1 trillion in revenue annual two-way trading—Ebrard warned: “I’m telling you to put yourself in Zen mode. Be as calm as possible.”

Countries around the world were considering how the high court’s decision would affect them. Some world leaders expressed delight or relief at Friday’s decision.

“The justices showed that even a U.S. president does not operate in a legal vacuum. Legal limits have been set; the era of unlimited, arbitrary tariffs may be coming to an end,” he wrote Bernd LangeChairman of the International Trade Committee of the European Parliament, X.

Also writing about unfair.”

Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum did not comment diplomatically when asked about the tariffs at her daily press conference. “We will carefully examine the decision and then we will be happy to give our opinion,” he said.

The economy minister said Ebrard plans to travel to the United States next week to clarify the issue.

Ebrard noted that last year, Mexico managed to fend off Trump’s threat to impose a 25 percent tariff on all Mexican imports.

But Mexico is rolling back Trump administration tariffs on imports of vehicles, steel and aluminum, among other products.

Among other effects, the Supreme Court invalidated so-called fentanyl tariffs on Mexico, China and Canada. The Trump administration imposed these taxes to force the three countries to crack down on trafficking in deadly synthetic opioids.

Following Friday’s decision, Trump said he planned to seek alternative legal means to implement the now-embarrassed tariffs.

Approximately 85% of Mexico’s exports to the United States are exempt from tariffs due to the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. The signing agreement replaced the previous North American Free Trade Agreement, expanding the mostly free trade regime between the three countries.

The tripartite agreement is planned to be put under joint review as of July 1. This date marks six years since the agreement was signed during Trump’s first term as president.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button