google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Suspect charged in fatal beating at subway station made confession to police, officials say

New York police have arrested and charged a suspect with murder in connection with a violent and deadly attack at the Downtown Brooklyn subway station.

On Wednesday afternoon, authorities identified the suspect as 25-year-old David Mazariegos. He is charged with two counts of murder, robbery and grand larceny.

Police said he punched, kicked and kicked his victim, Nicola Tanzi, 64, and even admitted to detectives that he did it because he didn’t like the way the victim looked at him.

Authorities say Mazariegos was arrested 17 times earlier this year, including for assault, petty theft and graffiti.

He was arrested around 10 p.m. Tuesday after NYPD officers assigned to the subway in Times Square spotted him sitting on the sidewalk. Police said a katana sword with a blade length of more than 20 inches was found in his lap at the time of his arrest.

Police also said the Brooklyn subway attack victim had four credit cards in his possession; one of which the suspect allegedly used to shop at Target at 237 W. 42nd Street on Tuesday night.

The suspect was released on charges including petty theft and possession of stolen property, and then was immediately taken back into custody in connection with the subway murder in Brooklyn. He is expected to appear in court on Thursday in that case.

Detectives are also looking at similarities between Tuesday’s murder and the death of a worker who encountered a burglar at Morton Williams in Hell’s Kitchen last month.

Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch praised the department’s area awareness system, which sent photos of the suspect to officers’ phones, allowing the suspect to be quickly arrested.

Meanwhile, investigators have released new details about what led to the deadly attack.

Police said the suspect pulled open the exit door of the Jay Street-MetroTech station and tried to get in as Tanzi approached around 3 p.m. Tuesday.

The two exchanged words and the suspected sucker punched the 64-year-old, knocking him to the ground.

According to investigators, footage from MTA security cameras recorded the suspect punching, kicking and hitting the victim’s head 15 times while he was on the ground.

The suspect was later seen boarding the 2 train to the Bronx, police said.

The victim suffered a fractured skull and was taken to New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital in critical condition, where he was later pronounced dead.

Candles were lit at the scene Wednesday in memory of Tanzi, whom others remembered as a good person.

Those who knew the victim, thought to be a security guard, said they were thinking of his family.

This was the fourth homicide in the subway system this year, down from eight this time last year.

Transit crimes are down 4.3% so far this year. Serious crimes decreased by 31% in September compared to the same month last year.

———-
* More Brooklyn news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or story idea we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If you are adding videos or photos, Terms of use apply.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button