Israeli army takes journalists into a tunnel in a Gaza city it seized and largely flattened

RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — One by one, the soldiers passed through the tunnel’s narrow entrance. southern Gaza. In a dark corridor, they watched their steps as they walked over or around rough concrete, crushed plastic bottles, and tattered mattresses, some ducking their heads to avoid hitting the low ceiling.
On Monday, the Israeli army took journalists to Rafah, the city at the southernmost point of Gaza that soldiers captured last year. greatly flattened – As the 2-month Israel-Hamas ceasefire reaches its peak critical point. Israel has banned international journalists from entering Gaza since the war began more than two years ago, except for rare, brief visits like this one under military supervision.
Soldiers escorted journalists inside a tunnel they said was one of Hamas’ most important and complex underground routes, connecting cities in the war-torn region and used by senior Hamas commanders. Israel said Hamas was holding the body of a hostage in the underground passage: 23-year-old soldier Hadar Goldin, who was killed in Gaza more than a decade ago and whose remains are kept there.
Hamas returned Goldin’s body last month US brokered ceasefire in the war triggered militant attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023 The incident in which 1,200 people were killed and hundreds were taken hostage. Israel’s retaliatory strike killed more than 70,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza Ministry of Health, which is affiliated with the Hamas-run government. The ministry does not distinguish between civilians and combatants but says about half of those killed were women and children.
Israel and Hamas are on the verge of completing the first phase of a ceasefire that mandates the return of all hostages, living and dead, in exchange for Palestinians held by Israel. Just the corpse one more hostage It remains to be returned.
Mediators warn that the second phase will be much more challenging because it includes: more challenging topicsfor example disarming Hamas and Israel’s withdrawal from the lane. Israel currently controls more than half of Gaza.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will travel to Washington this month to discuss next steps with US President Donald Trump.
Rafah’s roads are full of rubble
Last year, Israel launched a major operation in Rafah, where many Palestinians had sought refuge from attacks elsewhere. Violent fighting has left much of the city in ruins and displaced nearly a million Palestinians. This year, when the army largely retained control of the city, most of the surviving buildings were systematically demolished, according to satellite photographs.
Soldiers also took control and closed it down The vital Welfare gateIt is Gaza’s only gateway to the outside world that is not controlled by Israel.
Israel has said Rafah is Hamas’ last major stronghold and is key to eliminating the group’s military capabilities, a major war target.
Towers of crushed concrete, wires and twisted metal lined the road around Rafah on Monday; Very few buildings were still standing and none were damaged. The remains of people’s lives were scattered on the floor: a foam mattress, towels and a book explaining the Quran.
Last week Israel said: ready to reopen Welfare crossing but only for people to leave the lane. Egypt and many Palestinians fear that once people leave, they will not be allowed to return. They say Israel has to open the crossing in both directions.
Israel said it would not be allowed to enter Gaza until it took all the hostages remaining in the strip.
inside the tunnel
The tunnel, accompanied by journalists, passes under the United Nations compound and mosques, which was once a densely populated residential area. Today Rafah is a ghost town. Underground, journalists struggled to find their way through dangling cables and uneven concrete slabs covered with sand.
The military said the tunnel was more than 7 kilometers (4 miles) long and up to 25 meters (82 feet) deep and was used for long-term accommodation as well as weapons storage. It was stated that Hamas’s senior commanders were there during the war. Mohammed Sinwar – The younger brother of Yahya Sinwar, who is believed to lead the armed wing of Hamas, Hamas leader The person who helped plan the October 7 attack. Israel announced that it had killed both of them.
“What we see here is a perfect example of what Hamas has done with the money and equipment brought into Gaza over the years,” said Lieutenant Colonel Nadav Shoshani. “Hamas took that and built an incredible city underground for the purpose of terror and holding the bodies of hostages.”
Israel has long accused Hamas of extorting money for military purposes. While Hamas says Palestinians are an occupied people and have the right to resist, the group also has a civilian arm and runs a government that provides services such as healthcare, a police force and education.
The military hasn’t decided what to do with the tunnel. He could seal it in concrete, explode it, or keep it for intelligence purposes, among other options.
Since the ceasefire began, three soldiers have been killed in clashes with about 200 Hamas militants who Israeli and Egyptian officials say remain underground in Israeli-held territory.
Hamas said that communication with its remaining units in Rafah had been cut off for months and that it was not responsible for the events taking place in these areas.
Both Israel and Hamas initially accused each other of repeatedly violating the agreement. While Israel accuses Hamas of delaying the return of hostages, Palestinian health officials say more than 370 Palestinians have been killed in ongoing Israeli attacks since the ceasefire came into force.
___
Editor’s Note: This article was submitted for review by Israel’s military censor and no changes were made.



