google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Catholic Church calls for inquiry into antisemitism spread

“Without sustainable safe and harmonious workplaces and communities, we cannot deliver prosperity for all Australians, which is the ultimate goal that underpins our organisations’ advocacy and efforts,” the group said in a statement.

The BCA, Australia’s largest business lobby, issued the statement on behalf of eight other top industry bodies including the Australian Banking Association, the Australian Institute of Company Directors, the Australian Industry Group, the Australian Retailers Association, the Council of Small Business Organizations of Australia, the Insurance Council of Australia, the Master Builders of Australia and the Minerals Council of Australia.

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry did not sign the joint statement; CEO Andrew McKellar said the organisation’s focus was to work directly with the government on a comprehensive response.

“We have made a strong call to leave no stone unturned in addressing the causes and consequences of this tragedy,” he said in a statement.

Former Victorian Liberal premiers Ted Baillieu, Denis Napthine and Jeff Kennett have also added their voices to the call for a royal commission.

Perth Archbishop Timothy Costelloe, president of the Australian Catholic Bishops’ Conference, welcomed the government’s investigation into security agencies but said more needed to be done.

“Only by shining a light on the dark corners of our society – including our political, business, academic, media, religious and cultural institutions – can we hope to unmask antisemitism that would otherwise go unseen, acknowledged and unaddressed,” Costelloe said in a statement on Thursday night.

“That is why, alongside the Richardson review, there is a need for a wider, national inquiry with adequate authority and resources that can investigate the deeper issues at the heart of antisemitism.”

Neither the Australian National Imams Council nor the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils (AFIC) have expressed their views on a national inquiry.

While both strongly condemned the Bondi attack, AFIC had previously said its position on the royal commission would depend on its scope.

“The aim of any investigation should be to uncover the truth, not to reinforce a narrative,” AFIC chief Rateb Jneid said last month.

“We are concerned that a narrow or politicized process will only serve to reinforce fear and division.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button