google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

‘Take it down a step’: Barnaby Joyce hits back at Nat Barr over One Nation question

Barnaby Joyce gave Sunrise host Nat Barr a one-word response when quizzing him about his possible future at One Nation following his departure from the National Party.

The New England MP made the shock announcement on Saturday that he would not seek re-election for a seat in the National Assembly at the next election, saying his relationship with party leaders had “broken down beyond repair”.

The statement came amid speculation that Mr Joyce was planning to defect to One Nation.

In his first interview since the big call, the former National leader reiterated that his relationship with the party was “not going well”.

“The relationship broke down,” he said.

“It happens, you just have to deal with it.”

Camera IconBarnaby Joyce has hit out at Sunrise co-host Nat Barr over his exit from Nationals. 7News Credit: channel 7

Mr Joyce had a one-word response when Mr Barr was pressed on whether he planned to join One Nation and then tapped leader Pauline Hanson on the shoulder to take the reins of the party if she retired.

“NO!” he said.

“You surprise me.

“I called (Ms. Hanson) last night because (the media) is talking about us, we can talk to each other instead of talking through the media… she said have a nice day and there was nothing locked.”

He touched on the assumptions made about his next steps.

“Even within a few minutes I resigned from the National Election, joined One Nation – which I didn’t – then within a few hours I left and led One Nation and people were complaining about the leadership of a party I wasn’t even a member of,” he said.

“Let’s take it one step further. I did not join One Nation.”

Mr Joyce was clear about whether he was tapping Ms Hanson on the shoulder to lead One Nation. Image: 7Haber
Camera IconMr Joyce was clear about whether he was tapping Ms Hanson on the shoulder to lead One Nation. 7News Credit: channel 7

Ms Hanson publicly welcomed Mr Joyce joining her party and told the crowd at the launch of the One Nation New England branch in Tamworth on Saturday that he was the right candidate.

“He talked about net zero. He’s very passionate about it. It’s destroying our country, we agree,” he said.

“It is more aligned with One Nation than the National Party.”

He said the party would be welcomed with open arms.

“I encourage him. Barnaby… I will open the doors for you. Come to One Nation.”

Mr Joyce announced on Saturday that he was leaving the National Party. Image: NewsWire / Martin Ollman
Camera IconMr Joyce announced on Saturday that he was leaving the National Party. NewsWire/Martin Ollman Credit: News Corp Australia

National Party leader David Littleproud warned Mr Joyce to reconsider and stay in the party, but Mr Joyce has so far stood firm.

She told Sunrise that her and Mr Littleproud’s relationship had broken down and she was tired of “playing stupid charades”.

“I believe there has been a breakdown in the relationship between David and others,” he said.

“I don’t think it allows for a cohesive party room for them, or for me to be honest.

“Everybody knows that. I think it’s just playing stupid charades, saying everything is fine and… it’s going well. It wasn’t.”

“The best thing to do there is to move on with my life, which I can do.”

He said his relationship with David Littleproud had broken down. Image: NewsWire / Martin Ollman
Camera IconHe said his relationship with David Littleproud had broken down. NewsWire/Martin Ollman Credit: News Corp Australia
Mr Littleproud pressured Mr Joyce to remain in the party. Image: NewsWire / Martin Ollman
Camera IconMr Littleproud pressured Mr Joyce to remain in the party. NewsWire/Martin Ollman Credit: News Corp Australia

In a statement announcing the bombshell move on Saturday, Mr Joyce said: “My relationship with the Nationals leadership in Canberra has unfortunately broken down as irreparably as the upset of some marriages.

“I will not be running again in New England, but I will finish my term as I promised in the last election.

“Instructions not to campaign outside New England during the federal election did not represent the views of the National Party, and action was taken for ‘generational change’ after the election.

“And the atmosphere in the party room where I sit in the farthest corner of the Coalition means that I have been seen and now I have struck a discordant note.

“This is not who I want to be.

“More importantly, our position of continuing to support net zero at the massive divide and harm it is causing to my constituents, small businesses, the environment, the poor, Australia’s defense and creating hatred among lifelong friends in my community makes it untenable to continue this policy in the National Party Room in Canberra.

He said he would keep his options open.

“I am now free to consider all options on what to do next,” he said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button